Woke up twice this week to a wet carpet and pee smell by the front door… any affordable security camera recommendations?

DefendDomicile said:
Blink cameras are affordable and simple to set up.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I’ve been tempted to wire up the letterbox, but I guess that might be over the top.

Joy said:
I’ve been tempted to wire up the letterbox, but I guess that might be over the top.

Yeah, you might end up with a dead animal that tried to pee on it!

Sophia said:
I’ve noticed a bad smell and wet carpet by my front door twice this week. I have a letterbox flap in the door, and I think someone might be messing around with it. Does anyone know of a good security camera that doesn’t need to be wired in? Something rechargeable would be ideal as I can charge it during the day.

Someone is actually walking up to your door and peeing through the letterbox? That’s crazy, but this post gave me a good laugh.

Eliza said:

Sophia said:
I’ve noticed a bad smell and wet carpet by my front door twice this week. I have a letterbox flap in the door, and I think someone might be messing around with it. Does anyone know of a good security camera that doesn’t need to be wired in? Something rechargeable would be ideal as I can charge it during the day.

Someone is actually walking up to your door and peeing through the letterbox? That’s crazy, but this post gave me a good laugh.

I’m glad it made someone’s day better! Yeah, it’s a mess. I live near an off-licence though, so probably someone drunk.

Sophia said:

Sounds like a bug zapper would be useful near the letterbox flap.

Sophia said:

Feit’s battery cameras with solar panels are a good option. You won’t have to charge them at all.

Poppy said:

Sophia said:

Feit’s battery cameras with solar panels are a good option. You won’t have to charge them at all.

Thanks, but I’m thinking the camera might get vandalized. Maybe something mounted higher up?

Sophia said:

Poppy said:
Sophia said:

Thanks, but I’m thinking the camera might get vandalized. Maybe something mounted higher up?

The Feit solar panel cameras can be mounted higher up. There’s even a version designed for that. I recommend using solar so you won’t have to keep charging it.

Sophia said:

Wire up the flap with some voltage.

Russell said:

Sophia said:

Wire up the flap with some voltage.

Make sure it’s strong enough to leave a lasting impression.

Sophia said:

Try putting a plastic bin inside the door with a loud water detector. You could also put some loose wires hanging out of the slot to scare them off. And maybe put up a funny sign saying you’ve got their DNA.

Amelia said:

Sophia said:

Try putting a plastic bin inside the door with a loud water detector. You could also put some loose wires hanging out of the slot to scare them off. And maybe put up a funny sign saying you’ve got their DNA.

The water detector idea is brilliant. Thanks!

Sophia said:

Amelia said:
Sophia said:

The water detector idea is brilliant. Thanks!

Glad you liked it! Look for the Basement Watchdog model, it’s cheap and very loud. You won’t miss it.

Sophia said:

Can you borrow a friend’s dog for a few days?

Sophia said:

I’m staying up all night with a cattle prod. Whoever it is won’t do it again.

Sophia said:

A trail cam might work. They record on motion and can be set to take both pictures and video.

Sophia said:

Google has a battery-powered doorbell that lasts about two months per charge.

Faith said:

Sophia said:

Is this the one? https://store.google.com/gb/product/nest_doorbell_battery?hl=en-GB By the way, happy birthday!

Sophia said:

Faith said:
Sophia said:

Is this the one? https://store.google.com/gb/product/nest_doorbell_battery?hl=en-GB By the way, happy birthday!

Yes, and you can get a secure mount from Amazon too.