What smart home devices do you guys think are essential?

I’m moving into my first home soon and I’m pretty excited about getting some smart tech in there. I’ve already grabbed a video doorbell and I’m thinking about getting the Nest Learning thermostat. What other devices would you recommend? Thanks in advance!

To really set up a smart home, you need a hub to tie everything together. A learning thermostat on its own is cool, but it’s just a smart device. Once you have a hub, you can connect everything, and it all works together. That’s what makes a real smart home setup.

@Edgar
I don’t have a hub yet and I’m wondering what’s a good beginner-friendly one? I’ve been looking at the Aeotec Smart Home Hub, but it’s almost $200 here in Canada. Without a hub, I’ve got about a dozen devices all running on their own apps and it’s starting to get confusing.

@GuardianGuru2
A lot of people recommend Home Assistant, but it’s definitely not for beginners. It can get pretty complex. I use Hubitat, and I think it’s great for starting out. It’s easy to use, supports both Z-Wave and Zigbee, and has a lot of automation options. The current model is the C8, but the C7 works fine and costs less if you’re looking to save a bit.

@Edgar
The C8 hub can be placed anywhere in your home, but centrally is best. It comes with different levels of automation options, so you can keep it simple or go as advanced as you want. I highly recommend it.

@GuardianGuru2
You can also use a smart speaker like Google Home or Alexa as your ‘hub’ for a simple setup. Just make sure your devices are compatible with the ecosystem you choose. You’ll be able to manage everything from one app.

@Alvin
I have a Google Home and a couple of Minis (first-gen). It’s been okay, but they don’t support Z-Wave or Zigbee. I’ve got over 15 devices running on WiFi, which seems less than ideal, but it works fine. I heard Google Home now supports Matter, so maybe I don’t need a hub?

@Alvin
I started with Google Home too, but it didn’t feel like a true smart home setup since automation was pretty limited. I switched to Home Assistant, and while it’s not super easy, it wasn’t as tough as I thought. Setting up the GUI is the hardest part, but it’s worth it for the extra control over automations.

@GuardianGuru2
I’m using the Homey Pro hub now, and I find it way easier than the Hubitat C5 I had before. It’s pricey but saves you from a lot of headaches. I wrote a bit more about it in another post if you want more details.

@GuardianGuru2
Ikea Dirigea is a great option for beginners!

@GuardianGuru2
Just run Home Assistant on something, it’s powerful once you get it going.

Bradley said:
@GuardianGuru2

Home Assistant and beginner-friendly don’t belong in the same sentence.

Nolan said:

Bradley said:
@GuardianGuru2

Home Assistant and beginner-friendly don’t belong in the same sentence.

I got Home Assistant as my first smart device along with some smart bulbs. It wasn’t easy to set up at all. Some parts required using the command line.

@ashleyn
Did you really need the command line? Most of the setups I’ve done only required .yaml files. The only time I used the command line was to restore a backup.

Bradley said:
@GuardianGuru2

I looked into Home Assistant briefly, but I just don’t have the time to dedicate to it.

@GuardianGuru2
It’s really not as tough as it sounds. If you can install Linux, you can handle Home Assistant. Once it’s set up, everything is done through a webpage.

Definitely get water leak detectors.

Mathew said:

Where do you place the leak detectors? Under the sink, near the boiler, radiators?

Griffin said:

Mathew said:

Where do you place the leak detectors? Under the sink, near the boiler, radiators?

I have one under each sink, near the water heater, and under the dishwasher.

Griffin said:

Mathew said:

You can also put smart smoke detectors in the kitchen and hallways near bedrooms. I’ve had one in the kitchen for years, and it gives me a heads-up if I leave something on the stove for too long.