What smart home devices do you guys think are essential?

Here’s what I have and the brands I use: August (door lock), Kasa (switches and plugs), Rachio (irrigation controller), Pentair (pool system controller), Trane (thermostat), and Omada (network). I don’t have smoke/CO detectors, cameras, or air quality monitors yet, but they’re on my list.

@berry
I’ve been looking for a connected smoke/CO detector. Any recommendations?

Sullivan said:
@berry

Google Nest or Kidde. Here’s a great review from Wirecutter.

@berry
Those are super expensive! I don’t see why you wouldn’t just get a First Alert Z-Wave smoke detector for much less.

HavenGuard said:
@berry
Those are super expensive! I don’t see why you wouldn’t just get a First Alert Z-Wave smoke detector for much less.

The Nest ones are nice because you can snooze them from your phone if they go off while you’re cooking. They also do automated self-tests. Still pricey though!

@SecureHomeHub
I put a heat detector in my kitchen to avoid smoke detector false alarms. You could also use a photoelectric detector for better accuracy.

Sebastian said:
@SecureHomeHub
I put a heat detector in my kitchen to avoid smoke detector false alarms. You could also use a photoelectric detector for better accuracy.

I meant the smoke detectors by the bedrooms. They go off when I’m searing steaks or making pizza in a maxed-out oven.

HavenGuard said:
@berry

Are you talking about Nest or Kidde?

@berry
That review is just what I needed. Thanks!

Sullivan said:
@berry
That review is just what I needed. Thanks!

Just make sure your home insurance accepts your choice. If something happens and they don’t, it could be a problem.

Sullivan said:
@berry

I’ve bought loads of First Alert detectors for work. I don’t understand why Nest charges over $100!

StatisticSleuthSara said:
@berry
[deleted]

Check out Meross products. I’ve had great luck with them for my garage door opener.

berry said:

StatisticSleuthSara said:
@berry
[deleted]

Check out Meross products. I’ve had great luck with them for my garage door opener.

I’ve had their garage door opener for two years with no issues. But I had trouble setting up their smart plugs, had to use an old Android phone to get them working.