Using ADT system without paying for the ADT subscription

My parents just bought a house that came with an ADT security system. It has wireless motion sensors, window/door sensors, and a big control panel from the early 2000s (I think).

Is there a way to use this setup just as a local alarm without needing to reactivate it with ADT?

Alternatively, is there a way to swap out the main panel for something that doesn’t require paying a high monthly fee?

I’ve never dealt with a security system before, so I’m not sure where to start.

I’m interested too. We just moved into a new place with a system like this, and it’s annoying trying to figure out how to turn off some of the default chimes.

leecole4 said:
I’m interested too. We just moved into a new place with a system like this, and it’s annoying trying to figure out how to turn off some of the default chimes.

Without knowing exactly which panel you have, it’s tough to give advice. ADT has installed hundreds of different models.

Giving advice without knowing the panel would be like trying to diagnose a medical issue without any information.

Does the keypad or control panel have any model numbers or labels on it?

In general, you should be able to use it as a local alarm system as long as you have the master code.

Tyra said:

In general, you should be able to use it as a local alarm system as long as you have the master code.

The model number is SCW9057G-433.

I’m guessing it’s from the early 2000s?

Brad said:

Tyra said:

The model number is SCW9057G-433.

I’m guessing it’s from the early 2000s?

That’s a DSC Impassa, which is basically an all-in-one version of the DSC PowerSeries. It’s still a solid system, as the technology hasn’t changed that much. If you really wanted to, you could swap it out for a regular PowerSeries panel, and all the existing sensors would still work. But as long as it’s working fine, you probably don’t need to do that.

Just make sure you have the arm/disarm code from the previous owners.

You can find detailed instructions to reprogram the system in a thread someone posted before:

By the way, I wanted to mention that alarm monitoring isn’t just a way to get money from people. It’s a service that actually helps protect lives and homes. Monitored smoke detectors have saved pets from fires, and police have been called during home invasions when people couldn’t call themselves.

Even if you don’t want the service, in many cases, the discount on homeowners insurance more than covers the cost of monitoring.