ADT Panel from Previous Homeowner - Need Help!

The couple I bought my house from didn’t have the ADT code for the security panel, so I’m trying to reset the system before deciding to replace it.

It’s an ADT Impassa panel. I’ve tried the usual codes like 6321 and a few others, plus I rebooted the system by holding the * and # keys to enter programming mode .

Any advice on how to factory reset it would be amazing.

Also, if it can’t be fixed, what panel would you suggest under $200? I’m just looking for something simple to arm and disarm the system.

If it’s an Impassa, it was likely installed by Defender (also known as ‘Protect Your Home’). It’s a basic system, but the tech code isn’t standard. Honestly, you’re better off replacing the system with something you have full control over. There are lots of DIY options that are affordable. Even ADT has DIY systems on their site now.

Michael said:
If it’s an Impassa, it was likely installed by Defender (also known as ‘Protect Your Home’). It’s a basic system, but the tech code isn’t standard. Honestly, you’re better off replacing the system with something you have full control over. There are lots of DIY options that are affordable. Even ADT has DIY systems on their site now.

I’ll check that out! Thanks!

The Impassa has a different way of resetting the installer code. I have the manual somewhere, but you’ll need to short some terminals inside the panel.

ingosi said:
The Impassa has a different way of resetting the installer code. I have the manual somewhere, but you’ll need to short some terminals inside the panel.

Which terminals should I short?

What do you think of this panel? https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Security-6160-Ademco-Display/dp/B000H05WDS/

Eagle said:
What do you think of this panel? https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Security-6160-Ademco-Display/dp/B000H05WDS/

That’s just a keypad, not a full system. It needs to be connected to a wired alarm system, which you probably don’t have. If you want to go that route, you’ll have to install something like one of these kits.

The Impassa you have is an all-in-one system, meaning it has the controller built into it.

If you’re thinking of replacing it and doing a DIY install, look at a Qolsys IQ4. Get the model with the 433MHz radio so it works with your existing DSC sensors. But heads up, you’ll need a subscription to alarm.com (you can get it for less than $30/month from places like Surety).

It’s probably *8 plus a 4-digit code. Try 6321, 5555, or 2580. Sometimes the code is the last 4 digits of the old ADT account number.

For the Impassa, it’s almost always the last 4 digits of the ADT account number.

Eagle said:
The couple I bought my house from didn’t have the ADT code for the security panel, so I’m trying to reset the system before deciding to replace it.

It’s an ADT Impassa panel. I’ve tried the usual codes like 6321 and a few others, plus I rebooted the system by holding the * and # keys to enter programming mode .

Also, if it can’t be fixed, what panel would you suggest under $200? I’m just looking for something simple to arm and disarm the system.

Don’t listen to the others, you can definitely reset this panel and use it again. It’s super reliable, I’ve done it with over 40 systems myself. My own house still uses one.

Check this out: How Do I Reset a DSC Impassa to Factory Defaults? - Alarm Grid

You’ll need a piece of wire or a paperclip as a jumper. Also, be careful when unplugging the battery—you don’t want to break the terminal.

After the reset, the system should have the default user code (usually 1234). Sometimes the programming for the sensors will stay, but the user codes get wiped. If that happens, you can reset it again if needed.

EdwardGenesis said:

Eagle said:

Don’t listen to the others, you can definitely reset this panel and use it again. It’s super reliable, I’ve done it with over 40 systems myself. My own house still uses one.

You’ll need a piece of wire or a paperclip as a jumper. Also, be careful when unplugging the battery—you don’t want to break the terminal.

After the reset, the system should have the default user code (usually 1234). Sometimes the programming for the sensors will stay, but the user codes get wiped. If that happens, you can reset it again if needed.

Thanks, I got it all set up!

EdwardGenesis said:

Eagle said:

Great! If you need to change the user code, just enter *5+1234, then press *, and enter your new 4-digit code, then hit # to exit.

You can test it by entering the new code and checking if the system beeps and says disarmed.

More instructions here: https://www.alarmgrid.com/faq/how-do-i-add-additional-user-codes-to-a-dsc-impassa

Also, if you need to add wireless sensors, the instructions are here: https://www.alarmgrid.com/faq/how-do-i-add-a-wireless-zone-to-a-dsc-impassa.

Here are the zone types:

• 01 (Delay Door / Time to Disarm)
  • 03 (Instant Door / Alarms immediately when armed)
  • 05 (Motion Sensor / Only works in away mode)
  • 03 (Window Sensor)
  • 08 (Fire/Smoke Detector)

EdwardGenesis said:

EdwardGenesis said:
Eagle said:

Great! If you need to change the user code, just enter *5+1234, then press *, and enter your new 4-digit code, then hit # to exit.

You can test it by entering the new code and checking if the system beeps and says disarmed.

More instructions here: https://www.alarmgrid.com/faq/how-do-i-add-additional-user-codes-to-a-dsc-impassa

Also, if you need to add wireless sensors, the instructions are here: https://www.alarmgrid.com/faq/how-do-i-add-a-wireless-zone-to-a-dsc-impassa.

Here are the zone types:

• 01 (Delay Door / Time to Disarm)
  • 03 (Instant Door / Alarms immediately when armed)
  • 05 (Motion Sensor / Only works in away mode)
  • 03 (Window Sensor)
  • 08 (Fire/Smoke Detector)

Factory reset worked. I’m now adding all the sensors back. Thanks again!

Eagle said:

To factory reset a DSC Impassa, unplug the AC power and disconnect the battery to turn it off. Then, connect a jumper between IO1 and IO2. Turn the panel back on, wait 10 seconds, then turn it off again. Remove the jumper and power it back up.

Just a heads up, this will erase all the sensors. You’ll have to reprogram everything from scratch. It’s one of the trickier panels to work with if you don’t have experience.

Eagle said:

You can reset an Impassa and reprogram it as a local system. First, check if it’s locked out by powering it off and back on. If you hear 10 clicks, it’s bricked. If not, you can factory reset it.

Here’s how to do it:

1. Power down the system completely.
  2. Connect a short wire between I/O 1 and I/O 2 on the panel (remove any other wires).
  3. Power it up (AC power only) for 10 seconds.
  4. Power it down, remove the short, and turn it back on.

Then, you can enter programming mode using *8 and either the default DSC code (5555) or ADT’s code (6321). You’ll have to reprogram the system and add all your wireless devices again.

Good luck!