Strange visitor at my front porch and then just leaves

I recently got access to the Ring camera at my house. It’s technically my mom’s, but she just gave me access.

About 10 minutes ago, the Ring camera alerted me to someone at the front door. I’m pretty sure it was my neighbor’s wife. She was wearing pajamas, standing in the corner near the porch area. She stayed for a bit, then just walked away. Very odd.

I asked my mom if she noticed it, and she said this has been happening multiple times! What could she possibly be doing just standing there?

At first, I thought she might be trying to lure me outside, and maybe someone was hiding nearby. But it doesn’t make sense because she didn’t even ring the doorbell or come closer. Maybe she’s trying to signal for help? Could she be in some kind of trouble?

I have no clue what’s going on.

She might have some kind of mental health issue, like dementia or Alzheimer’s. Hard to say.

Why don’t you just ask her?

@Chris
I’ll ask her if there’s a chance to do it safely.

If your houses look alike, it could be confusion, maybe sleepwalking or dementia. Next time, try talking to her through the Ring camera and see what she says.

Does your neighbor have pets? It sounds like she might be letting her dog out.

@Joy
Why would someone bring their pet all the way to my porch though?

@CharlotteAmelia
Sometimes people let their pets out without a leash at night, hoping they’ll go quickly so they can get back to bed. Maybe the pet wandered over to your porch, and she was just waiting for it.

If it’s a dog and that’s its favorite spot, you could try using a pet repellent to keep it away. Just an idea.

Why are people so scared to talk to others?

If you don’t feel comfortable opening the door, you can always talk through it.

@clinton
You can use the Ring camera’s speaker for that.

Guard4Hire said:
@clinton

I didn’t know how to use it before, but I’ll give it a try.

CharlotteAmelia said:

Guard4Hire said:
@clinton

It’s easy! Just open the live view, turn on the mic and speaker, and speak normally. Don’t talk at the same time as the other person though, or you’ll cancel each other out.

Guard4Hire said:

CharlotteAmelia said:
Guard4Hire said:
@clinton

It’s easy! Just open the live view, turn on the mic and speaker, and speak normally. Don’t talk at the same time as the other person though, or you’ll cancel each other out.

Thanks for the tip!

@clinton
Late at night makes me nervous. If it were daytime, I’d probably just go outside and talk to her.

CharlotteAmelia said:
@clinton
Late at night makes me nervous. If it were daytime, I’d probably just go outside and talk to her.

I wasn’t saying you should open the door. You can just yell from behind the door and ask what she wants.

CharlotteAmelia said:
@clinton

Yelling might not be the best idea depending on where you live. You should do what feels safe for you.

@clinton
Have you met people? It’s not always that simple.

@LuminousLore
I have, and in my experience, most people are at least willing to shout through the door if they don’t want to open it. Or they install an intercom. They usually don’t just ignore it and then ask online what’s happening.

CharlotteAmelia said:
I recently got access to the Ring camera at my house. It’s technically my mom’s, but she just gave me access.

About 10 minutes ago, the Ring camera alerted me to someone at the front door. I’m pretty sure it was my neighbor’s wife. She was wearing pajamas, standing in the corner near the porch area. She stayed for a bit, then just walked away. Very odd.

I asked my mom if she noticed it, and she said this has been happening multiple times! What could she possibly be doing just standing there?

At first, I thought she might be trying to lure me outside, and maybe someone was hiding nearby. But it doesn’t make sense because she didn’t even ring the doorbell or come closer. Maybe she’s trying to signal for help? Could she be in some kind of trouble?

Could be dementia. Age doesn’t always matter, some people have early onset dementia.

CharlotteAmelia said:

Post the video so we can see. It could be Alzheimer’s or dementia. People sometimes act strangely once it gets dark.