Someone knocking at my door at 5 am

Monk said:

FortifiedFamilies said:
Monk said:
FortifiedFamilies said:
Monk said:
FortifiedFamilies said:
FortressFanatic said:
It’s annoying for sure, but you’re going to call the cops because someone’s knocking on your door? That’s an overreaction, especially since you have a camera but haven’t put it up yet.

If someone knocks repeatedly at almost 5 am, day after day, I’d be concerned too.

If you know what car they’re leaving in, leave a note on it asking them to stop knocking.

I don’t think they said they know which car it is, just that they can hear the person leaving in a car. Plus, unless the person lives in the same complex, how do you even find the right car?

Or you could leave a note on your door, saying ‘New tenant, please stop knocking at 5 am.’

You’re assuming this isn’t a potentially serious situation.

Do you live in fear all the time? Personally, I’d open the door and tell them to stop.

If someone is knocking at your door in the middle of the night repeatedly, it’s smart to be cautious. That’s not fear, that’s being aware of your surroundings.

FortifiedFamilies said:

Monk said:
FortifiedFamilies said:
Monk said:
FortifiedFamilies said:
Monk said:
FortifiedFamilies said:
FortressFanatic said:
It’s annoying for sure, but you’re going to call the cops because someone’s knocking on your door? That’s an overreaction, especially since you have a camera but haven’t put it up yet.

If someone knocks repeatedly at almost 5 am, day after day, I’d be concerned too.

If you know what car they’re leaving in, leave a note on it asking them to stop knocking.

I don’t think they said they know which car it is, just that they can hear the person leaving in a car. Plus, unless the person lives in the same complex, how do you even find the right car?

Or you could leave a note on your door, saying ‘New tenant, please stop knocking at 5 am.’

Do you live in fear all the time? Personally, I’d open the door and tell them to stop.

If someone is knocking at your door in the middle of the night repeatedly, it’s smart to be cautious. That’s not fear, that’s being aware of your surroundings.

It’s 5 am, not 1 am. Plenty of people leave for work at 5. I wake up at 5:30 every day.

Monk said:

FortifiedFamilies said:
Monk said:
FortifiedFamilies said:
Monk said:
FortifiedFamilies said:
Monk said:
FortifiedFamilies said:
FortressFanatic said:

It’s 5 am, not 1 am. Plenty of people leave for work at 5. I wake up at 5:30 every day.

Sure, but most people I know sleep until 8 or 9. 5 am is still early for most.

WatchfulResidence said:
I (24F) just moved into a new apartment about a month ago. My front door is right next to my neighbor’s door, and I live on the ground level. Five days ago, I woke up at 4:50 am to knocking at my door. It was three knocks, repeated twice. I thought it was random, but two days later, at the exact same time, it happened again. This morning, the same thing happened. Two sets of knocks, and then they left in a car (I can hear it since my window faces the parking lot).

It keeps happening every other day at the same time. I bought a Ring camera after the second time but haven’t put it up yet. I’m thinking of getting up at 5 am and looking through the peephole next time. I don’t know if I should talk to management because I’m not sure what they could do.

You can’t be serious about calling the police just because someone knocked on your door.

Archer said:

FortressFanatic said:

When should she call the cops? After someone tries to break in?

You don’t call the cops because someone’s knocking on your door. It’s an annoyance, not a crime. There hasn’t been any threat or damage.

FortressFanatic said:

Archer said:
FortressFanatic said:

When should she call the cops? After someone tries to break in?

You don’t call the cops because someone’s knocking on your door. It’s an annoyance, not a crime. There hasn’t been any threat or damage.

I get your point, but if it’s my daughter living alone and someone’s knocking on her door every few days at 5 am, I’m calling the police. I had something similar happen at a hotel once and it freaked out my kid. I chased down the kid knocking on my door and gave him a good talking-to. It stopped after that.

FortressFanatic said:

It’s different when you’re a woman. If you’re a guy, it’s hard to understand the anxiety that comes with things like this.

Just put up the camera already. Why wait?

Why haven’t you looked through the peephole to see who it is?

HyperSphinx said:

I didn’t know when it was going to happen again, and honestly, I was too nervous to check.

WatchfulResidence said:

HyperSphinx said:

I didn’t know when it was going to happen again, and honestly, I was too nervous to check.

Well, put up the camera so you don’t have to worry about it.

WatchfulResidence said:
I (24F) just moved into a new apartment about a month ago. My front door is right next to my neighbor’s door, and I live on the ground level. Five days ago, I woke up at 4:50 am to knocking at my door. It was three knocks, repeated twice. I thought it was random, but two days later, at the exact same time, it happened again. This morning, the same thing happened. Two sets of knocks, and then they left in a car (I can hear it since my window faces the parking lot).

It keeps happening every other day at the same time. I bought a Ring camera after the second time but haven’t put it up yet. I’m thinking of getting up at 5 am and looking through the peephole next time. I don’t know if I should talk to management because I’m not sure what they could do.

Could it be your neighbor trying to contact you for something? Maybe they don’t know you’ve moved in. Have you had any issues like loud music? It could be something simple, or maybe they’re just trying to say hi.

SafeHavenExpert3 said:

WatchfulResidence said:

Could it be your neighbor trying to contact you for something? Maybe they don’t know you’ve moved in. Have you had any issues like loud music? It could be something simple, or maybe they’re just trying to say hi.

I thought about that, but I don’t play loud music, and the walls here aren’t thin. Also, why would someone knock at 5 am every other day just to say hi?

WatchfulResidence said:

SafeHavenExpert3 said:
WatchfulResidence said:

I thought about that, but I don’t play loud music, and the walls here aren’t thin. Also, why would someone knock at 5 am every other day just to say hi?

Put a note on your door saying ‘Who are you trying to reach?’ and leave a pen so they can reply. Then ask them to stop knocking if they have the wrong address.

WatchfulResidence said:

Stick a note on the door that says, ‘Please stop knocking.’

WatchfulResidence said:

Calling the police seems a bit much right now. Leave a note first, set up your Ring camera, and if it continues, then talk to the landlord. If it doesn’t stop after all that, then maybe you can file a report.

WatchfulResidence said:

There are probably 100 normal reasons why someone’s knocking, but you should improve your security. Set up a camera, get better door locks, and get to know your neighbors. You’ll feel a lot safer that way.

WatchfulResidence said:

Just leave a note already.

WatchfulResidence said:

Could it be a newspaper delivery or something like that?

WatchfulResidence said:

Put up a sign that says ‘Hey 5 am person, wrong house.’