Someone knocking at my door at 5 am

I (24F) just moved into a new apartment about a month ago. My front door is right next to my neighbor’s door, and I live on the ground level. Five days ago, I woke up at 4:50 am to knocking at my door. It was three knocks, repeated twice. I thought it was random, but two days later, at the exact same time, it happened again. This morning, the same thing happened. Two sets of knocks, and then they left in a car (I can hear it since my window faces the parking lot).

It keeps happening every other day at the same time. I bought a Ring camera after the second time but haven’t put it up yet. I’m thinking of getting up at 5 am and looking through the peephole next time. I don’t know if I should talk to management because I’m not sure what they could do.

Sounds like your neighbors are getting picked up at 5 am. Install your Ring camera ASAP (if your complex allows it), so you know what’s happening. When you talk to your neighbor, remember most people are considerate, but some are not.

It could be someone at the wrong address, maybe telling their coworker, ‘Hey, I tried to pick you up again for work, knocked three times, but you weren’t there.’

leecole2 said:
It could be someone at the wrong address, maybe telling their coworker, ‘Hey, I tried to pick you up again for work, knocked three times, but you weren’t there.’

It’s kind of rude if someone moved and didn’t tell the carpool crew.

PeacefulHomestead said:

leecole2 said:

I don’t think it’s a carpool situation, if you know what I mean.

YukiJane said:

PeacefulHomestead said:
leecole2 said:

5 am is pretty early for that… and they’re not very persistent if that’s what it is.

PeacefulHomestead said:

YukiJane said:
PeacefulHomestead said:
leecole2 said:

5 am is pretty early for that… and they’re not very persistent if that’s what it is.

Anyone who’s lived near someone dealing drugs knows that clients can show up at odd hours.

5 am is late compared to my last place—people knocked on my door at 2-4 am trying to get to the guy upstairs. It drove me crazy.

It’s annoying for sure, but you’re going to call the cops because someone’s knocking on your door? That’s an overreaction, especially since you have a camera but haven’t put it up yet.

FortressFanatic said:
It’s annoying for sure, but you’re going to call the cops because someone’s knocking on your door? That’s an overreaction, especially since you have a camera but haven’t put it up yet.

If someone knocks repeatedly at almost 5 am, day after day, I’d be concerned too.

FortifiedFamilies said:

FortressFanatic said:

If someone knocks repeatedly at almost 5 am, day after day, I’d be concerned too.

5 am isn’t really the middle of the night though.

Williamson said:

FortifiedFamilies said:
FortressFanatic said:

What would you consider middle of the night then?

FortifiedFamilies said:

Williamson said:
FortifiedFamilies said:
FortressFanatic said:

I’d say 2-4 am. That’s when most people are deeply asleep.

FortressFanatic said:

FortifiedFamilies said:
Williamson said:
FortifiedFamilies said:
FortressFanatic said:

Yeah, 2 am is definitely more like it. I’m usually waking up around 5-6 am.

Williamson said:

FortressFanatic said:
FortifiedFamilies said:
Williamson said:
FortifiedFamilies said:
FortressFanatic said:

I agree that 2 am is the middle of the night, but 4:58 am is still close enough. Most people are still asleep then.

Williamson said:

FortressFanatic said:
FortifiedFamilies said:
Williamson said:
FortifiedFamilies said:
FortressFanatic said:

The birds start singing at 4:45 am, so it’s not that late.

FortifiedFamilies said:

FortressFanatic said:

If you know what car they’re leaving in, leave a note on it asking them to stop knocking.

Monk said:

FortifiedFamilies said:
FortressFanatic said:

If you know what car they’re leaving in, leave a note on it asking them to stop knocking.

I don’t think they said they know which car it is, just that they can hear the person leaving in a car. Plus, unless the person lives in the same complex, how do you even find the right car?

FortifiedFamilies said:

Monk said:
FortifiedFamilies said:
FortressFanatic said:

I don’t think they said they know which car it is, just that they can hear the person leaving in a car. Plus, unless the person lives in the same complex, how do you even find the right car?

Or you could leave a note on your door, saying ‘New tenant, please stop knocking at 5 am.’

Monk said:

FortifiedFamilies said:
Monk said:
FortifiedFamilies said:
FortressFanatic said:

Or you could leave a note on your door, saying ‘New tenant, please stop knocking at 5 am.’

You’re assuming this isn’t a potentially serious situation.

FortifiedFamilies said:

Monk said:
FortifiedFamilies said:
Monk said:
FortifiedFamilies said:
FortressFanatic said:

You’re assuming this isn’t a potentially serious situation.

Do you live in fear all the time? Personally, I’d open the door and tell them to stop.