Safe Haven ADT Dealer — Are They Trustworthy?

A guy came to our house, claiming to be with ADT, but it was totally unexpected. He was a bit pushy and asked to see the back door, walking through the house. He was looking at things like the cars outside, license plates, when we closed on our house, the locks on the doors, and expensive stuff in the house. He even showed my girlfriend a video of a door lock being broken with some special tool. At first, I thought he was just a pushy salesperson, but the whole thing freaked out my girlfriend, especially since it was already dark out and he never mentioned ‘Safe Haven’ even once, though we found it on the paperwork and email later. This feels shady. Has anyone dealt with this company? Does it get better after this strange sales pitch?

The original comment was removed because the person doesn’t agree with how third-party apps are treated on this forum. Basically, third-party apps are being charged too much, and developers had to shut them down. This is all because the forum is trying to make more money as they prepare to go public. The content we post is the product they’re selling.

Amanda said:
The original comment was removed because the person doesn’t agree with how third-party apps are treated on this forum. Basically, third-party apps are being charged too much, and developers had to shut them down. This is all because the forum is trying to make more money as they prepare to go public. The content we post is the product they’re selling.

Well, good for you for standing up!

I work as a security dealer but not for ADT. When I meet clients, I look around the house to assess the risks and see possible ways someone might break in. But, I’m always invited, and I’m not there to push people into buying something they don’t want. This ADT guy coming without being asked is creepy. It’s strange seeing someone act like this, especially when they weren’t invited.

Also, ADT isn’t the best option. You’re better off going with a smaller, local security company.

Something to keep in mind—ADT has one of the biggest collection agencies in the country.

Safe Haven is a legitimate dealer for ADT. But that just means ADT handles the monitoring. The person you interacted with works for Safe Haven, not ADT directly. When people complain about sketchy ADT work, it’s usually contractors like Safe Haven or Defender that wear the ADT logo. ADT itself has strict standards for quality and security. I’m an installer for ADT, but when I had Safe Haven install something due to a builder contract, I almost kicked the guy out because he was so pushy.

SecureHomeSolutions1 said:
Safe Haven is a legitimate dealer for ADT. But that just means ADT handles the monitoring. The person you interacted with works for Safe Haven, not ADT directly. When people complain about sketchy ADT work, it’s usually contractors like Safe Haven or Defender that wear the ADT logo. ADT itself has strict standards for quality and security. I’m an installer for ADT, but when I had Safe Haven install something due to a builder contract, I almost kicked the guy out because he was so pushy.

I’m an independent dealer. I’ve worked with ADT before, and in Canada, they were bought by Telus. I’ve seen really well-done commercial installations by ADT and some good residential ones too. But as a big company, they have a habit of raising service fees and locking people into tough contracts.

Their monitoring service could be better, though. Convincing them to alert me when test codes fail was a real struggle. It’s surprising that they don’t always check that regularly.

GuardianGateways said:

I’m an independent dealer. I’ve worked with ADT before, and in Canada, they were bought by Telus. I’ve seen really well-done commercial installations by ADT and some good residential ones too. But as a big company, they have a habit of raising service fees and locking people into tough contracts.

Their monitoring service could be better, though. Convincing them to alert me when test codes fail was a real struggle. It’s surprising that they don’t always check that regularly.

At my local ADT office, we have some of the best techs. They care about doing quality work and will call out anyone who doesn’t. I take pride in fixing up the messy installs I come across, usually done by contractors like Safe Haven. After each install, we’re required to check that the system is set up to report properly, but I’m not sure what happens if it fails after we’re gone. Everything is remotely programmable these days, so it should be easy to fix.

GuardianGateways said:

At my local ADT office, we have some of the best techs. They care about doing quality work and will call out anyone who doesn’t. I take pride in fixing up the messy installs I come across, usually done by contractors like Safe Haven. After each install, we’re required to check that the system is set up to report properly, but I’m not sure what happens if it fails after we’re gone. Everything is remotely programmable these days, so it should be easy to fix.

It’s good to know that there are still techs who hold themselves to a high standard!

GuardianGateways said:

A Failure to Test (FTT) usually just gets logged. Smaller dealers will typically check reports and let clients know if there’s a problem. Bigger companies like ADT get too many FTTs daily, so they don’t follow up much. But if the system fails, your keypad should show a ‘Failure to Communicate’ message, and you’d know something’s wrong.

GuardGuru said:

GuardianGateways said:

A Failure to Test (FTT) usually just gets logged. Smaller dealers will typically check reports and let clients know if there’s a problem. Bigger companies like ADT get too many FTTs daily, so they don’t follow up much. But if the system fails, your keypad should show a ‘Failure to Communicate’ message, and you’d know something’s wrong.

That’s true. Relying on customers to notice and respond to these errors isn’t very effective. But companies ignoring test failures is a huge mistake. Big companies like ADT should automate these alerts—send emails, texts, or robocalls to notify people. Smaller dealers like us don’t have that luxury.

GuardianGateways said:

GuardGuru said:
GuardianGateways said:

That’s true. Relying on customers to notice and respond to these errors isn’t very effective. But companies ignoring test failures is a huge mistake. Big companies like ADT should automate these alerts—send emails, texts, or robocalls to notify people. Smaller dealers like us don’t have that luxury.

I agree. The signals aren’t ignored by operators, but they’re just not flagged for attention. For smaller dealers, they get automated reports, and it’s up to them to deal with it. Also, many techs set the system to test during early morning hours to avoid waking people up. But the responsibility to test systems is often placed on the customers themselves.

GuardGuru said:

GuardianGateways said:
GuardGuru said:
GuardianGateways said:

I agree. The signals aren’t ignored by operators, but they’re just not flagged for attention. For smaller dealers, they get automated reports, and it’s up to them to deal with it. Also, many techs set the system to test during early morning hours to avoid waking people up. But the responsibility to test systems is often placed on the customers themselves.

Exactly. Customers are supposed to test systems regularly, but when they don’t, it’s hard for us to keep pushing them to care. I’ve even sent registered letters or driven by a client’s home to remind them. The problem became worse when VoIP systems became common. Most telecom companies aren’t trained to handle security system communication issues, and that causes a lot of these failures.

[deleted]

Amanda said:

[deleted]

I can’t give that info out on this forum, but each area is different. I can say that me and you don’t live in the same state, though.

We’re about to have the Safe Haven guy come by. Should we cancel? Do they have to come out? Why did you almost kick yours out?

Richie said:

We’re about to have the Safe Haven guy come by. Should we cancel? Do they have to come out? Why did you almost kick yours out?

If you want the smart home features, you’ll need to let them come by, especially if it’s a new build. I almost kicked mine out because he wouldn’t stop pushing extra things after I repeatedly said no. The panel they offer is good, and the equipment is solid. If I didn’t work for ADT, I might have considered his deals, but since I get a discount, I didn’t need it.

Richie said:

If you want the smart home features, you’ll need to let them come by, especially if it’s a new build. I almost kicked mine out because he wouldn’t stop pushing extra things after I repeatedly said no. The panel they offer is good, and the equipment is solid. If I didn’t work for ADT, I might have considered his deals, but since I get a discount, I didn’t need it.

What if it’s not a brand new build but recently built and owned by the original buyers? We found out everything’s tied to Safe Haven and an alarm.com account, and we can’t use most of the smart home features. Can we switch to another provider or should we stick with Safe Haven?

Amanda said:

Richie said:

What if it’s not a brand new build but recently built and owned by the original buyers? We found out everything’s tied to Safe Haven and an alarm.com account, and we can’t use most of the smart home features. Can we switch to another provider or should we stick with Safe Haven?

You can switch providers. ADT may be able to take over the Safe Haven panel since they’re an ADT dealer. Worst case, you might need a new keypad and doorbell, but a lot of the smart home features can be transferred over.

Hey, ADT expert! We just bought a house that has a Safe Haven system installed. Do we need to contact Safe Haven, or is there a way around it? Any tips would be helpful.