Recommendations on Hardwired Security Systems

Recently, there have been several break-ins in my area where criminals used WiFi jammers to disable cameras and system components. The local police department has advised homeowners to switch to hardwired security systems for better protection.

I have no idea where to start in terms of guidance, assessments, or installation. Does anyone have recommendations or tips on what to look for and how to get started? Any help would be appreciated!

Wireless system quality varies. You won’t be jamming systems like Ajax or 2Gig the way thieves do with Ring and similar brands.

As for wired systems, it’s best to consult a local alarm company to explore their wired options. You might want to talk to a few companies to compare. Brands like Paradox, Resideo, DSC, and Bosch each have their strengths.

For wired, Resideo vista 20 is tried and true

Yup, but plenty are as good as

Why do you think systems like 2GIG and Ajax can’t be jammed? Wireless alarm systems rely on RF sensors, which are just as vulnerable to interference and jamming as Wi-Fi cameras. The burglars mentioned are likely SATG (South American Theft Groups), and I’ve seen RF jammers they use. These jammers can disrupt multiple frequencies simultaneously, making it hard to trust a wireless alarm system for protection against them.

Commercial alarm systems use “supervised” sensors, whether they are part of a wired or wireless setup, and they also rely on FHSS (Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum) to make jamming more difficult.

However, neither of these methods is foolproof against all attacks, and many systems only require a randomized hourly check-in from wireless sensors.

For example, DSC alarms will trigger an “RF Jam detected” warning if they experience 20 seconds of continuous interference.

I understand that these systems provide supervision and that some wireless sensors, like PowerG, use frequency hopping. However, the RF jammers being used by this group jam multiple frequencies at once, and frequency hopping won’t fully protect the sensors from being jammed. PowerG sensors only hop within a small band in the 900MHz range, while these jammers cover a broad spectrum, including WiFi, cellular, and more.

Take, for example, a 2GIG all-in-one wireless system. It communicates with the alarm company via WiFi and cellular and with sensors on the 345MHz band. When this system is jammed by something like a SATG, it will block communication with the central station by jamming both WiFi and cell networks. It also prevents the sensors from talking to the panel. Even if the panel detects the RF jamming, it won’t be able to report it to the central station or trigger any remote sirens, aside from the built-in one.

That’s why, despite Qolsys, 2GIG, and Honeywell being much more advanced than low-end consumer devices like Ring, in this specific scenario, hardwired systems are the more secure option.

Some high-end alarm systems used to have a feature called “Blind SMS,” which would send an SMS alert to the central station even if a local jammer was blocking communication with the cell tower. This meant that the threat actor would not only need to jam the radio frequencies at the target but also jam every nearby cell tower to prevent the alarm from going through.

However, I believe this feature was only available on 2G or possibly 3G networks.

Yeah, I’m not aware of that feature for current communicators. I think the best option available now would be a high security communicator with supervised line security. So if the system looses connection with the servers after a predetermined amount of time it’ll generate a trouble or alarm at the central station.

DSC Neo FHSS can be jammed? First time I’ve heard that. Are you sure?

PowerG sensors operate by frequency hopping between the 912-918MHz range. The jammers being deployed are designed to block multiple frequencies simultaneously. So unless there’s a specific reason why the 912-918MHz band is somehow immune from jamming while others aren’t, the sensors are not jam-proof.

The IQ Pro, which uses PowerG sensors, even includes a jam detection feature that sends an alert if the sensors are being jammed.

Encryption on the sensors doesn’t mean they’re resistant to jamming. I’m curious why you think PowerG sensors would be immune to RF jamming?

Highly resistant. Don’t know about immune. My DSC is wired but I thought FHSS was quite safe. Is it so vulnerable as to not be recommended? There is more to learn.

The PowerG sensors are definitely superior and harder to jam than traditional wireless sensors. However, for this specific threat I do not believe they are safe from it. There’s definitely more to learn but it appears the jammers that are being used jam a wide range of frequencies at the same time which would jam the PowerG sensors if the device is programmed to jam those frequencies.

It sounds like you’re referring to camera systems. Security systems don’t rely on Wi-Fi for sensor communication; most use cellular connections. While it’s not impossible to jam these systems, it requires a much more sophisticated criminal. Wi-Fi is typically used for devices like doorbell cameras, which often end up capturing footage that leads to arrests.

Whenever possible, hardwiring your cameras is the best option. As for security systems, unless you’re dealing with a highly skilled attacker, you don’t have much to worry about. If someone that advanced is targeting you, they’ll likely find a way in regardless.

Your best bet is to have a hardwired alarm system installed, with all doors and windows wired (though this might be tricky depending on your house’s layout). Some good options for hardwired panels include the Qolsys IQ Pro, DSC Neo, and Honeywell Vista 20P. Make sure your panel has a dual-path communicator (hardwired Ethernet and cellular). If you want to DIY, Alarmgrid is a good “DIY” alarm provider. Otherwise, look for local companies, and avoid the big names like ADT or Vivint.

Consider installing IP cameras on your home’s exterior. For low-light performance, Dahua’s “EmpireTech” 4MP or Color 4K cameras are great options. You’d want these cameras to connect to a VMS like Blue Iris, which stores footage locally. Blue Iris also supports built-in AI for person/vehicle detection, so you’ll know someone is on your property before they even get inside.

If you have a bigger budget, Axis cameras with Axis Camera Station offer superior software, build quality, and image quality. They’re also compatible with additional security features like radar units (for tracking movement), speakers or horns (for AI-based alerts), and relay units for enhanced control.

Don’t forget physical security. Ensure all exterior doors have deadbolts and reinforce the door jambs with something like Door Armor.

Security is all about layering, but without knowing your specific house and yard layout or budget, it’s difficult to give tailored advice.

It depends on the type of jammer they’re using. Most likely, they’re jamming Wi-Fi, which would disrupt 802.11 cameras. They could also be cutting the hardwired communication line for the alarm system and jamming the cellular backup. Many newer alarm systems use wireless connections between the sensors and control board, which could also be jammed. The thieves probably know their jammer works on common doorbell cameras like Ring or Nest, and they target those specifically. They might press the button to test the jammer or knock on the door to check if someone’s home before breaking in. With security, the goal is usually to make yourself the least appealing target, and there are various ways to achieve this depending on your budget.

Anyone know what these “jammers” are actually doing? Seems like they just disrupt crappy doorbell cameras. Are they just blasting out noise on WiFi frequencies to disrupt communication?

A jammer is indeed creating noise on the frequency it is designed to jam. There are jammers for many frequency types, and they vary in power (range). Your typical burglar would probably carry a smaller jammer, which will jam, for example, wifi 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz in a short range around him. Technically speaking, a strong professional jammer would be too heavy to carry while robbing a home. There are some youtube videos that explain how this works.

Ideally, everything should be hardwired, as with grade 3 alarm systems. However, in practice, grade 2 is often sufficient when adjusted to the actual threat level.

It’s important to evaluate your house itself: What security measures or devices are already in place? What’s the worst-case police response time to your location? Do you have vigilant neighbors? These factors matter more than immediately focusing on wireless jammers.

There are always ways to bypass security systems, like masking PIR motion detectors, even if they are wired. The key question is whether you’re applying enough security based on what people know you have at home, such as jewelry, cash, safes, or weapons.

If you don’t have many valuables that are easy to locate, and you have a wireless grade 2 alarm system, wired cameras, and a police response time of under 5 minutes, most thieves will likely move on to another target. Remember, even a wireless system will trigger a siren or indicate a connection problem if it’s jammed.

Good luck!

What is a grade 3 alarm system? Never heard that term used before…