Need help with wireless camera and doorbell… dealing with stalker

I’m really not tech-savvy and I’m dealing with a violent stalker who has already hurt me and my dog. I’ve been looking up wireless security cameras and doorbells, but all the options on Amazon have me totally overwhelmed. I’ve never used any of this stuff before.

I live on the second floor of a brick apartment building, so I’m hoping to find a wireless outdoor camera that won’t require drilling into the brick (if possible). I want to put it outside my front window to watch my car. I’m also worried about durability because the camera and doorbell will be west-facing, getting a lot of sun, and I live close to Lake Michigan where we get some really intense weather.

Here’s what I’m looking for:

• Wireless camera and doorbell
  • Good video quality (enough to use in court)
  • No subscription needed
  • Easy to install
  • Durable against weather

I have an iPhone and the Apple Home thing (still learning how to use it), and Xfinity WiFi with the modem next to the window where I want to put the camera. Any recommendations? I’ve got a protection order, but my ex has already violated it multiple times, and I’m really scared for my safety and my dog. Any advice would be so appreciated.

Honestly, if you can afford it down the line, I’d recommend getting a professional security company to install hardwired cameras. WiFi cameras can be jammed, and it’s getting easier for people to do that.

@Hugo
I wish I could go that route, but I just moved and I’m broke at the moment. He’s not the type to know how to jam WiFi—he still uses a flip phone. I just need something easy to set up this week. Any recommendations on a durable wireless outdoor camera?

I’ve been using Eufy cameras that store footage locally, so no subscription is needed. I’ve got one outside for the yard and a wireless doorbell, both with 2K resolution and night vision. The app’s pretty easy to set up, just scan the QR code on the device. You can also talk through the cameras, which might be useful. Here’s a couple links to check out:

Outdoor camera

Wireless doorbell

Been working well for me so far!

@Dexter
Thanks so much! This seems like exactly what I need. I’ll look into Eufy.

I’d recommend getting professionally installed cameras if you can. WiFi is easier to jam, but if that’s your only option, at least make sure they’re secure.

I once used some old-school pranks on a stalker and never had issues again. Tar and feathers might be a bit extreme, though. Be sure to tell your neighbors if you go that route!

Timothy said:
I once used some old-school pranks on a stalker and never had issues again. Tar and feathers might be a bit extreme, though. Be sure to tell your neighbors if you go that route!

You gotta share the pranks now.

Timothy said:

I’d love to hear about the pranks too!

Can you move somewhere else?

Pat said:

You’re in danger as long as he knows where you live! Please try to get out. Good luck!

Pat said:

I just moved 3 weeks ago and can’t afford to move again. I’m hoping to catch him on camera and take it to the judge so they’ll put a GPS on him. He’s terrified of going back to jail, so I think that’ll keep him away.

Consider getting a monitored security system, so someone can call the police for you if anything happens. Also, make sure you’re ready to defend yourself.

David said:
Consider getting a monitored security system, so someone can call the police for you if anything happens. Also, make sure you’re ready to defend yourself.

I’m definitely prepared to defend myself. I used to work in law enforcement, and I’m trained. My goal is to catch him on video to get that GPS tracker on him.

@Brady
Just remember, GPS monitors aren’t perfect, but it’s still a good step. Wishing you all the best.

David said:
@Brady
Just remember, GPS monitors aren’t perfect, but it’s still a good step. Wishing you all the best.

I know, I used to work in GPS monitoring myself, so I’m familiar with the system’s limitations. But it’s better than nothing.

Please get professional help. We’re all sending good thoughts your way. Keep us updated.

Maci said:
Please get professional help. We’re all sending good thoughts your way. Keep us updated.

Thanks, everyone, for all your help. I ended up getting the Ring system because I was on a tight budget, but it did the job! He was charged with multiple violations and is now back in prison, not eligible for parole until 2029. I can finally sleep better.

@Brady
That’s awesome! So happy for you!

Maci said:
@Brady
That’s awesome! So happy for you!

I feel like I can finally breathe again, but my Glock’s still staying under my pillow.