Looking for reliable motion sensors, any recommendations?

I’ve tried Sonoff and Tuya motion sensors, but they all seem to have issues. Sometimes they stay stuck on ‘motion detected’ when there’s clearly no motion. Is this a sensor issue, or is something else going wrong?

I’ve had great success with Aqara motion sensors, never had a false alert.

Chris said:

Same here, Aqara sensors are solid.

Chris said:

Aqara is my go-to now. I tried the Ikea ones, but they were nowhere near as good.

Chris said:

Aqara works well, but my cat sets them off constantly.

I had similar issues with Sonoff sensors getting stuck in ‘motion detected’ mode. I’ve switched to Aqara and haven’t had any issues since. The only time I’ve had problems is when the battery is low. The Hue motion sensors are also very reliable, but they’re a bit pricey.

GaryWright said:
I had similar issues with Sonoff sensors getting stuck in ‘motion detected’ mode. I’ve switched to Aqara and haven’t had any issues since. The only time I’ve had problems is when the battery is low. The Hue motion sensors are also very reliable, but they’re a bit pricey.

Same here, I’ve been gradually replacing all my Sonoff sensors with Aqara. The light sensor in Aqara is a nice extra feature, and they’re easier to pair and maintain.

GaryWright said:

I spent a lot on Sonoff sensors, and they were all unreliable. They’d lose connection, or the batteries wouldn’t stay in place. Aqara has been much better.

GaryWright said:

Hue sensors are great, but I agree, they’re too expensive to buy in bulk.

GaryWright said:

The Hue motion sensors are definitely the best, but Aqara is a solid alternative for most situations. I also use Aqara’s High Precision sensor, which is great for detecting still people but it’s quite expensive.

The Philips Hue motion sensor is really good, but it’s expensive. I just got an Aqara to compare.

Charlieronny said:
The Philips Hue motion sensor is really good, but it’s expensive. I just got an Aqara to compare.

I don’t think the Hue sensor is worth the price. It only stands out because it integrates easily with the Hue ecosystem, but so does Aqara with its hub. The Hue sensor has a faster reset time (15 seconds vs. 60 seconds for Aqara), but with a small tweak, you can reduce the Aqara’s timeout to 5 seconds. The price difference makes Aqara a better choice for me.

If you’re using Z-Wave, I recommend the Aeotec Multisensor 6 or 7. They’re solid, especially when powered via USB, and I’ve never had false positives.

esleystanley said:
If you’re using Z-Wave, I recommend the Aeotec Multisensor 6 or 7. They’re solid, especially when powered via USB, and I’ve never had false positives.

I’ve had great results with Aeotec as well, using them in my basement and garage.

I had similar problems with false positives using Zooz motion sensors. I’ve found that the old Iris sensors (which are basically Centralite sensors) work really well, but you can only find them on eBay now.

Terryanne said:
I’ve tried Sonoff and Tuya motion sensors, but they all seem to have issues. Sometimes they stay stuck on ‘motion detected’ when there’s clearly no motion. Is this a sensor issue, or is something else going wrong?

I use an ESP8266 with regular PIR sensors, and I never get false positives. It takes a bit of setup, but it’s been reliable.

SentinelSanctuary said:

Terryanne said:

I use an ESP8266 with regular PIR sensors, and I never get false positives. It takes a bit of setup, but it’s been reliable.

Which PIR sensors are you using? I’m struggling with false positives and wondering if it’s the sensor or interference.

Lilly said:

SentinelSanctuary said:
Terryanne said:

Which PIR sensors are you using? I’m struggling with false positives and wondering if it’s the sensor or interference.

I use the HC-SR501, directly wired. If your cables are long, they might be picking up interference.

SentinelSanctuary said:

Lilly said:
SentinelSanctuary said:
Terryanne said:

I use the HC-SR501, directly wired. If your cables are long, they might be picking up interference.

That could be it, my cables are pretty long. I’ll try shortening them and see if that helps.

Terryanne said:

Philips Hue sensors are the best I’ve used. They’re more expensive, but you pay for reliability. I haven’t had to touch mine in years, and the added cost is worth it when you consider how long they last.