Looking for reliable motion sensors, any recommendations?

Terryanne said:
I’ve tried Sonoff and Tuya motion sensors, but they all seem to have issues. Sometimes they stay stuck on ‘motion detected’ when there’s clearly no motion. Is this a sensor issue, or is something else going wrong?

Shelly motion sensors have been reliable for me. They’re WiFi-based and a bit bulkier, but they have customizable settings. Sometimes they need resyncing after a WiFi outage, but overall, they’re solid.

Terryanne said:
I’ve tried Sonoff and Tuya motion sensors, but they all seem to have issues. Sometimes they stay stuck on ‘motion detected’ when there’s clearly no motion. Is this a sensor issue, or is something else going wrong?

I’ve found mmWave sensors to be the most reliable for presence detection so far.

Charlieronny said:

Terryanne said:

I’ve found mmWave sensors to be the most reliable for presence detection so far.

Are you using mmWave with ESP? Which sensor are you using?

Jane said:

Charlieronny said:
Terryanne said:

Are you using mmWave with ESP? Which sensor are you using?

Yes, I’m using an ESP32 with the DFRobot mmWave sensor.

Terryanne said:

I’ve had a mixed experience with Sonoff sensors. Two out of three work fine, but one got stuck in ‘motion detected’ mode. My Aqara sensors have been working well since switching to Zigbee2MQTT, and the Hue sensor has been excellent with no issues so far.

Terryanne said:

If you’re up for building your own, I use the HC-SR501 with a NodeMCU running ESPHome. It’s been working great for months.

Terryanne said:

I still think Mk1 Eyeball is the best sensor around.

Terryanne said:

For a budget option, Ikea. If you’re willing to spend more, Philips Hue is great.

Terryanne said:

The Centralite Micro motion sensors are my go-to. They’re cheaper than Hue, quick to reset, and sip battery life. No issues so far on my Zigbee network.