Looking for POE Camera Recommendations

What cameras would you suggest for use in an open area? Price is flexible, but I’d like to stay around $100 to $150 per camera. The most important factor is image quality, followed by ease of setup.

Also, are there any cameras you would avoid?

Thanks for your help!

>What cameras would you recommend for use in a completely green field?

Amcrest, Annke, and Reolink are all good options in your price range. However, it’s tough to give a solid recommendation without more details about your setup and what you’re trying to achieve.

Washington said:

Amcrest, Annke, and Reolink are all good options in your price range. However, it’s tough to give a solid recommendation without more details about your setup and what you’re trying to achieve.

I’m not totally sure about specifics, but I’d want local 24/7 monitoring with object detection alerts. Beyond that, I’m not very familiar with other features that may be useful.

berry said:

Washington said:

I’m not totally sure about specifics, but I’d want local 24/7 monitoring with object detection alerts. Beyond that, I’m not very familiar with other features that may be useful.

It depends on a few things:

• What areas are you covering (driveway, backyard, front yard)?
  • How much do you need to capture (wide area, alleyway, low light)?
  • Do you need to focus on things like license plates, faces, or movement?

Every camera can do 24/7 recording, but object detection is generally better with domes or turrets. Avoid fisheye lenses, as most AI models don’t work well with them.

Washington said:

berry said:
Washington said:

Every camera can do 24/7 recording, but object detection is generally better with domes or turrets. Avoid fisheye lenses, as most AI models don’t work well with them.

Got it, thanks! I’ll need to cover long front and backyards, plus a small side yard. There aren’t any streetlights nearby, so good low-light performance is important. I’ll mainly need to capture slow-moving objects like people. Identifying someone during a break-in is a must, but I’m not sure what other recognition features I’d need.

berry said:

Washington said:
berry said:
Washington said:

Got it, thanks! I’ll need to cover long front and backyards, plus a small side yard. There aren’t any streetlights nearby, so good low-light performance is important. I’ll mainly need to capture slow-moving objects like people. Identifying someone during a break-in is a must, but I’m not sure what other recognition features I’d need.

>Low-light performance is going to be important.

For that, go with the Dahua 5442. Its 1/1.8" sensor performs better than most in low light. Here’s a link: Varifocal Dahua or Fixed Lens Dahua. These are unbranded Dahua cameras sold cheaper by a trusted seller.

tonymorgan said:

berry said:
Washington said:
berry said:
Washington said:

>Low-light performance is going to be important.

For that, go with the Dahua 5442. Its 1/1.8" sensor performs better than most in low light. Here’s a link: Varifocal Dahua or Fixed Lens Dahua. These are unbranded Dahua cameras sold cheaper by a trusted seller.

I have a bunch of these and they’re great. If budget’s an issue, you could buy a couple at a time instead of all at once. Another option I like is this Amcrest, but it’s not as good as the Dahua in low light.

Check out Andy from IPCamTalk, he’s well-known for good camera deals.

Amcrest IP8M-T2669EW-AI is great at around $90. It supports POE, 4K at 30fps, and has good durability. Super user-friendly too.

Brianna said:
Amcrest IP8M-T2669EW-AI is great at around $90. It supports POE, 4K at 30fps, and has good durability. Super user-friendly too.

I have seven of these, and they’ve been very reliable. Mounted under my eaves, they offer clear picture quality and stay in sync. Note that to get 30fps, you’ll need to disable the built-in AI, but I run mine through BlueIris and CodeProject AI, so it’s no issue.

Cecilia said:

Brianna said:

I have seven of these, and they’ve been very reliable. Mounted under my eaves, they offer clear picture quality and stay in sync. Note that to get 30fps, you’ll need to disable the built-in AI, but I run mine through BlueIris and CodeProject AI, so it’s no issue.

I tested one for my Frigate setup, but the substream is only 700x500, which isn’t great for object detection. The problem goes away if you use the main stream for detection, but I’d love to hear your thoughts on this.

ashleyn said:

Cecilia said:
Brianna said:

I tested one for my Frigate setup, but the substream is only 700x500, which isn’t great for object detection. The problem goes away if you use the main stream for detection, but I’d love to hear your thoughts on this.

You can activate multiple substreams. My camera has two. Substream 1 is low-res, but I activated Substream 2 and set it to 1920x1080@30fps. That’s what I use for detection.

Cecilia said:

ashleyn said:
Cecilia said:
Brianna said:

You can activate multiple substreams. My camera has two. Substream 1 is low-res, but I activated Substream 2 and set it to 1920x1080@30fps. That’s what I use for detection.

Thanks! I didn’t know about the second substream. I’m testing more Amcrest models now. Good to know I need to be specific when choosing!

Brianna said:

How does it perform in low-light conditions? My yard has no streetlights, so this is a key feature for me.

berry said:

Brianna said:

How does it perform in low-light conditions? My yard has no streetlights, so this is a key feature for me.

It’s an 8MP camera on a 1/2.8" sensor, so it’s not the best for low light. You’ll get better results from a 1/1.2 sensor on an 8MP camera or a 1/1.8 sensor on a 4MP camera.

berry said:

Brianna said:

It’s pretty decent for low light. I can see across my street clearly, but there’s some trade-off in image quality. You could check out the manufacturer’s website for a live demo. Amazon has a good return policy too, so you could try it out risk-free.

I’d avoid Reolink. I had four RLC-810A cameras, and two have already failed.

I avoid brands involved in human rights abuses, like Hikvision and Dahua. Geovision is a good non-China option but might be at the higher end of your budget. If you’re using an NVR, look for cameras that support ONVIF Profile S. Avoid focusing solely on megapixels—sensor size also matters for image quality. A 1/1.8" sensor is much better than a 1/2.8" sensor.

Donbosco said:
I avoid brands involved in human rights abuses, like Hikvision and Dahua. Geovision is a good non-China option but might be at the higher end of your budget. If you’re using an NVR, look for cameras that support ONVIF Profile S. Avoid focusing solely on megapixels—sensor size also matters for image quality. A 1/1.8" sensor is much better than a 1/2.8" sensor.

Looks like you know your stuff! I’ve also heard mixed things about those brands.

Donbosco said:

If you want non-China cameras, brands like Geovision, Hanwha, Axis, and Bosch are good but can cost four times as much as Chinese counterparts.