Looking for POE Camera Recommendations

Donbosco said:
I avoid brands involved in human rights abuses, like Hikvision and Dahua. Geovision is a good non-China option but might be at the higher end of your budget. If you’re using an NVR, look for cameras that support ONVIF Profile S. Avoid focusing solely on megapixels—sensor size also matters for image quality. A 1/1.8" sensor is much better than a 1/2.8" sensor.

It’s tough finding good non-China cameras with large sensors. Axis is pricey, and even Geovision seems to use smaller 1/3" sensors for some models.

talksecuricor said:

Donbosco said:
I avoid brands involved in human rights abuses, like Hikvision and Dahua. Geovision is a good non-China option but might be at the higher end of your budget. If you’re using an NVR, look for cameras that support ONVIF Profile S. Avoid focusing solely on megapixels—sensor size also matters for image quality. A 1/1.8" sensor is much better than a 1/2.8" sensor.

It’s tough finding good non-China cameras with large sensors. Axis is pricey, and even Geovision seems to use smaller 1/3" sensors for some models.

You’re right, most affordable cameras are made in Shenzhen. If you’re looking for high-quality options, older Axis or Bosch models sometimes show up on eBay at decent prices. Geovision does offer larger sensors on their pricier models.

Donbosco said:

Thanks for the research. Do you know of any other non-China brands?

Smart said:

Donbosco said:

Hanwha is a good option. They’re used on military bases.

Smart said:

Donbosco said:

Some vendors offer NDAA-compliant cameras, but they may still be made in China. Axis, for example, has factories in China and Europe, so it’s important to check the source.

berry said:
What cameras would you suggest for use in an open area? Price is flexible, but I’d like to stay around $100 to $150 per camera. The most important factor is image quality, followed by ease of setup.

Also, are there any cameras you would avoid?

Thanks for your help!

This dual-lens camera is my favorite. BlueIris works great with it, and it’s been very reliable.

Unclewaffl3s said:

berry said:
What cameras would you suggest for use in an open area? Price is flexible, but I’d like to stay around $100 to $150 per camera. The most important factor is image quality, followed by ease of setup.

Thanks for your help!

This dual-lens camera is my favorite. BlueIris works great with it, and it’s been very reliable.

That one uses a 1/2.9" sensor, which won’t perform well in low light. I’d suggest this Dahua version with a 1/1.8" sensor instead.

berry said:

Thanks for your help!

For $150, Ubiquiti offers great image quality but locks you into their ecosystem. Amcrest or SV3C are solid alternatives. Reolink is decent but has disappointed me in the past.

berry said:

Thanks for your help!

I use a mix of Annke, Amcrest, and Reolink (for a doorbell). They all work well. BlueIris can be tricky to set up, but there’s a lot of help online. Ubiquiti is nice but expensive, and I prefer the flexibility of BlueIris.

ProtectivePam said:

berry said:

Thanks for your help!

I use a mix of Annke, Amcrest, and Reolink (for a doorbell). They all work well. BlueIris can be tricky to set up, but there’s a lot of help online. Ubiquiti is nice but expensive, and I prefer the flexibility of BlueIris.

Does your Reolink doorbell have a 4-second delay?

SecureNestNetwork said:

ProtectivePam said:
berry said:

Thanks for your help!

Does your Reolink doorbell have a 4-second delay?

There’s a small delay, but not 4 seconds. Maybe 1 second at most.

berry said:

Thanks for your help!

Optiview is another option if you’re looking for government-compliant cameras. They offer both Chinese and non-Chinese models, but reviews are a bit hard to find.

FortressHome said:

berry said:

Thanks for your help!

Optiview is another option if you’re looking for government-compliant cameras. They offer both Chinese and non-Chinese models, but reviews are a bit hard to find.

Many Optiview cameras look identical to Dahua models. Even if they’re NDAA-compliant, they’re probably still made in Shenzhen.