Looking for good PoE cameras for home setup

Guard4Hire said:
Reolink is my choice. I’ve been working in networking for 30 years, and they have the best features and are easy to secure.

Just bought some to replace old Chinese ones that were dying. Glad I picked a good brand.

Guard4Hire said:
Reolink is my choice. I’ve been working in networking for 30 years, and they have the best features and are easy to secure.

I’m replacing my Lorex system with Reolink. The quality for the price is unbelievable.

Guard4Hire said:

I just installed two Reolink doorbells, and they work perfectly.

Guard4Hire said:

I have four Reolink RLC-810A cameras around my house. They were easy to install and set up. I use a used 10/100 Cisco switch for power and data, and even with 4K, it works perfectly. I didn’t want to pay for a subscription, so I record locally on my home server. The Reolink system was an easy choice.

Guard4Hire said:

I agree with Reolink.

Guard4Hire said:

I’m a 20-year network guy (not 20 years old, haha), and I agree with others about Reolink. It’s affordable and works well. It also supports Alexa and Google, though I haven’t tried that feature.

Guard4Hire said:

I’ve used Reolink for about four years now, with 15 PoE cameras connected to their NVR. I couldn’t be happier.

Guard4Hire said:

Thanks for the recommendation!

Guard4Hire said:

What do you mean by ‘lockdown’?

AvaAnderson said:

Guard4Hire said:

What do you mean by ‘lockdown’?

It means preventing them from sending data outside your network.

Guard4Hire said:

I’ve been in networking for 10 years, and I also recommend Reolink. They’re reliable and inexpensive. I would love to use Ubiquiti cameras, but Reolink offers better quality for a much lower price.

Guard4Hire said:

This is the way to go.

Avoiding Chinese cameras because of spyware concerns leaves you with only NDAA-compliant options, which can be expensive. Instead, learn how to set up firewalls to block cameras from accessing the internet. Brands like Hikvision and Dahua make great cameras, and once they’re secured, you shouldn’t have to worry about spyware.

Brown said:
Avoiding Chinese cameras because of spyware concerns leaves you with only NDAA-compliant options, which can be expensive. Instead, learn how to set up firewalls to block cameras from accessing the internet. Brands like Hikvision and Dahua make great cameras, and once they’re secured, you shouldn’t have to worry about spyware.

I agree. I’ve installed many Dahua cameras, and most brands are made in China anyway. Unless you’re installing for the government, NDAA isn’t necessary. Plus, I’m not sure why the Chinese would care about my cat’s activities!

Luchivya said:

Brown said:

I agree. I’ve installed many Dahua cameras, and most brands are made in China anyway. Unless you’re installing for the government, NDAA isn’t necessary. Plus, I’m not sure why the Chinese would care about my cat’s activities!

It’s less about the cat and more about what vulnerabilities their hardware could open up on your network.

EvansBrown13 said:

Luchivya said:
Brown said:

It’s less about the cat and more about what vulnerabilities their hardware could open up on your network.

Yes, you’re right about that.

Luchivya said:

Brown said:

Maybe your cat is a star in China, and you should be making money as its manager!

Brown said:

I work for Dahua North America, and the only service that sends data out is our P2P, which uses AWS servers in Washington. The NDAA compliance issue is more about facial recognition technology being used by the Chinese government, not cybersecurity.

LuminousLore said:

Brown said:

I work for Dahua North America, and the only service that sends data out is our P2P, which uses AWS servers in Washington. The NDAA compliance issue is more about facial recognition technology being used by the Chinese government, not cybersecurity.

What’s the new brand and product called?

ProtectedPalace said:

LuminousLore said:
Brown said:

What’s the new brand and product called?

It’s called Luminys. We were acquired by Foxlink, and our new products will be NDAA-compliant.