Looking for good PoE cameras for home setup

DolphGabbana said:

Sarah said:
DolphGabbana said:
CharlotteAmelia said:
Sarah said:
SafetyNetNook said:
Guard4Hire said:
Reolink is my choice. I’ve been working in networking for 30 years, and they have the best features and are easy to secure.

Reolink is underrated, in my opinion. Great software too, and they were the first to have an outdoor camera with a solar panel, no need for power or wires, all through WiFi.

WiFi cameras are more for show than actual security.

How is that? A WiFi camera works the same as a PoE camera, just connected over WiFi. If you’re talking about fake cameras, that’s a different thing, but saying WiFi cameras are useless isn’t true.

WiFi cameras can be jammed or de-authenticated. But let’s be real, most people who break into homes don’t know how to do that. They see a camera and think, ‘I need to get out of here.’

Criminals are getting smarter. Canada almost banned the Flipper Zero because it can hack into systems like car security. I don’t think it’ll be long before WiFi jamming becomes common.

Maybe, but most home burglars aren’t techies. If someone is going after your house with hacking skills, you’ve got bigger issues than whether your cameras are wired or wireless. You’ll need more protection.

I trust my gun for security, and my ‘armed protection’ sign works well too.

Sarah said:

DolphGabbana said:
CharlotteAmelia said:
Sarah said:
SafetyNetNook said:
Guard4Hire said:
Reolink is my choice. I’ve been working in networking for 30 years, and they have the best features and are easy to secure.

Reolink is underrated, in my opinion. Great software too, and they were the first to have an outdoor camera with a solar panel, no need for power or wires, all through WiFi.

How is that? A WiFi camera works the same as a PoE camera, just connected over WiFi. If you’re talking about fake cameras, that’s a different thing, but saying WiFi cameras are useless isn’t true.

WiFi cameras can be jammed or de-authenticated. But let’s be real, most people who break into homes don’t know how to do that. They see a camera and think, ‘I need to get out of here.’

Criminals are getting smarter. Canada almost banned the Flipper Zero because it can hack into systems like car security. I don’t think it’ll be long before WiFi jamming becomes common.

Criminals are already doing sophisticated hacks to steal cars. Once it becomes easier, everyone will do it.

EvansBrown130 said:

Sarah said:
DolphGabbana said:
CharlotteAmelia said:
Sarah said:
SafetyNetNook said:
Guard4Hire said:

Criminals are already doing sophisticated hacks to steal cars. Once it becomes easier, everyone will do it.

Right? We need a term for these hardware hackers. I like ‘glitchboy,’ but surely we can come up with something better!

DolphGabbana said:

CharlotteAmelia said:
Sarah said:
SafetyNetNook said:
Guard4Hire said:

Here’s proof this is happening: Link to LA Times article

LuminousLore said:

Brown said:
Avoiding Chinese cameras because of spyware concerns leaves you with only NDAA-compliant options, which can be expensive. Instead, learn how to set up firewalls to block cameras from accessing the internet. Brands like Hikvision and Dahua make great cameras, and once they’re secured, you shouldn’t have to worry about spyware.

I work for Dahua North America, and the only service that sends data out is our P2P, which uses AWS servers in Washington. The NDAA compliance issue is more about facial recognition technology being used by the Chinese government, not cybersecurity.

You mean the only service you know of that has outbound data. Hackers have found other hidden connections on devices before, so it’s always smart to monitor network traffic closely.

Guard4Hire said:

I have a Reolink system at a property I manage, and the cameras are great, but I can’t stand the software. It’s so frustrating to search through history.

SophiaEvans1 said:

Guard4Hire said:

I have a Reolink system at a property I manage, and the cameras are great, but I can’t stand the software. It’s so frustrating to search through history.

You need a good DVR setup and let the cameras just push the video. I use Blue Iris, and it’s solid for law enforcement investigations. You just need a spare PC and a big hard drive.

Lily said:

SophiaEvans1 said:
Guard4Hire said:

You need a good DVR setup and let the cameras just push the video. I use Blue Iris, and it’s solid for law enforcement investigations. You just need a spare PC and a big hard drive.

I use Blue Iris at home, but the software is nowhere near as smooth or easy to use as Ubiquiti’s.

SophiaEvans1 said:

Guard4Hire said:

What do I need for Ubiquiti cameras? Do I need their PoE switch and DVR, or can I use a spare PC?

SophiaEvans1 said:

Guard4Hire said:

I agree about the software. Ubiquiti’s Unifi Protect app is even better than Nest’s, with more customization.

SophiaEvans1 said:

Guard4Hire said:

I’m thinking of switching from Google Nest because I’ve had so many issues with historical videos not being available. What’s wrong with Reolink’s software that bothers you?

Zachary said:

SophiaEvans1 said:
Guard4Hire said:

I’m thinking of switching from Google Nest because I’ve had so many issues with historical videos not being available. What’s wrong with Reolink’s software that bothers you?

It’s just clunky and basic. Ubiquiti’s app is smooth, easy to navigate, and works fast when downloading videos.

Guard4Hire said:

Reolink is great, and there’s no subscription required.

Guard4Hire said:

Reolink has excellent customer support. I had a camera get fog under the lens after two years, and they replaced it without question, even though it was out of warranty.

Williamson said:

Guard4Hire said:

Reolink has excellent customer support. I had a camera get fog under the lens after two years, and they replaced it without question, even though it was out of warranty.

Same here, Reolink’s support has been top-notch for me too.

Guard4Hire said:

We sell Reolink even though we don’t make much on it because it works well, and the clients actually use it. The apps are great.

Guard4Hire said:

I was checking their site. What’s a good setup for three separate apartment buildings under one owner? Only one has old cameras, and none of the buildings have internet yet.

Guard4Hire said:

I’ve got a Reolink PoE camera on its own VLAN with no internet access, and the app is pretty good. The image quality is great, and the cost is reasonable.

Guard4Hire said:

I wish their deployment process was easier. I always seem to need to log in twice or do something extra after the initial setup.

Guard4Hire said:

Do they have good WiFi cameras? I need one for the driveway.