Looking for good PoE cameras for home setup

Starting 2024 with a plan to upgrade my home, I need suggestions on reliable PoE cameras for better security. There have been break-ins in the area, so it’s time to protect my stuff. I’m looking for affordable options but staying away from low-cost Chinese cameras due to possible security issues. I’d love to hear from everyone and get some advice to move forward!

Reolink is my choice. I’ve been working in networking for 30 years, and they have the best features and are easy to secure.

Guard4Hire said:
Reolink is my choice. I’ve been working in networking for 30 years, and they have the best features and are easy to secure.

Reolink is underrated, in my opinion. Great software too, and they were the first to have an outdoor camera with a solar panel, no need for power or wires, all through WiFi.

SafetyNetNook said:

Guard4Hire said:

Reolink is underrated, in my opinion. Great software too, and they were the first to have an outdoor camera with a solar panel, no need for power or wires, all through WiFi.

I agree. Reolink makes excellent cameras and they listen to their customers when it comes to feedback.

SafetyNetNook said:

Guard4Hire said:

I mostly use Ubiquiti now, but I’ve had an Argus 2 solar camera on my dock for years, and it’s still working strong after many storms, including a hurricane.

SafetyNetNook said:

Guard4Hire said:

[Deleted]

ProtectivePam said:

SafetyNetNook said:
Guard4Hire said:

[Deleted]

FYI - Reolink, Wyze, etc., can all be connected to Alexa. I can get a picture-in-picture view on my TV from any camera, whether it’s Ring, Wyze, or Reolink. Blink is the only brand I haven’t tried, but I hear good things about them. If I were starting over, I’d probably go with Ubiquiti for the entire setup. My network is covered by 4 Eero units and an outdoor antenna for my half-acre yard. Most camera problems stem from poor WiFi connections.

SafetyNetNook said:

Guard4Hire said:

Agreed. I have a QNAP NAS box, and I stream from the Reolink to it for backup. I also have a cheap SD card in the camera as a backup if the network fails. These cameras are PoE.

SafetyNetNook said:

Guard4Hire said:

WiFi cameras are more for show than actual security.

Sarah said:

SafetyNetNook said:
Guard4Hire said:

How is that? A WiFi camera works the same as a PoE camera, just connected over WiFi. If you’re talking about fake cameras, that’s a different thing, but saying WiFi cameras are useless isn’t true.

CharlotteAmelia said:

Sarah said:
SafetyNetNook said:
Guard4Hire said:

How is that? A WiFi camera works the same as a PoE camera, just connected over WiFi. If you’re talking about fake cameras, that’s a different thing, but saying WiFi cameras are useless isn’t true.

WiFi cameras can be jammed or de-authenticated. But let’s be real, most people who break into homes don’t know how to do that. They see a camera and think, ‘I need to get out of here.’

DolphGabbana said:

CharlotteAmelia said:
Sarah said:
SafetyNetNook said:
Guard4Hire said:

WiFi cameras can be jammed or de-authenticated. But let’s be real, most people who break into homes don’t know how to do that. They see a camera and think, ‘I need to get out of here.’

Cables can be cut too. I use WiFi cameras in places where it’s more practical. Bonus with Reolink’s 4G solar cameras is that they record to an SD card and upload to my server. Even if someone jams them, the footage is safe.

CharlotteAmelia said:

DolphGabbana said:
CharlotteAmelia said:
Sarah said:
SafetyNetNook said:
Guard4Hire said:

Cables can be cut too. I use WiFi cameras in places where it’s more practical. Bonus with Reolink’s 4G solar cameras is that they record to an SD card and upload to my server. Even if someone jams them, the footage is safe.

Any camera can be disabled with black spray paint.

SacramentoLad said:

CharlotteAmelia said:
DolphGabbana said:
CharlotteAmelia said:
Sarah said:
SafetyNetNook said:
Guard4Hire said:

My cameras are on top of my two-story roof. Good luck spraying those without being caught.

SacramentoLad said:

CharlotteAmelia said:
DolphGabbana said:
CharlotteAmelia said:
Sarah said:
SafetyNetNook said:
Guard4Hire said:

Someone would need a long ladder to reach mine.

DolphGabbana said:

CharlotteAmelia said:
Sarah said:
SafetyNetNook said:
Guard4Hire said:

This actually happened to me. A neighbor asked if we had footage of some people lurking, but nothing was recorded during that time. These cameras usually capture everything, so it was odd.

DolphGabbana said:

CharlotteAmelia said:
Sarah said:
SafetyNetNook said:
Guard4Hire said:

Criminals are getting smarter. Canada almost banned the Flipper Zero because it can hack into systems like car security. I don’t think it’ll be long before WiFi jamming becomes common.

Sarah said:

DolphGabbana said:
CharlotteAmelia said:
Sarah said:
SafetyNetNook said:
Guard4Hire said:

Criminals are getting smarter. Canada almost banned the Flipper Zero because it can hack into systems like car security. I don’t think it’ll be long before WiFi jamming becomes common.

Maybe, but most home burglars aren’t techies. If someone is going after your house with hacking skills, you’ve got bigger issues than whether your cameras are wired or wireless. You’ll need more protection.

DolphGabbana said:

Sarah said:
DolphGabbana said:
CharlotteAmelia said:
Sarah said:
SafetyNetNook said:
Guard4Hire said:

Maybe, but most home burglars aren’t techies. If someone is going after your house with hacking skills, you’ve got bigger issues than whether your cameras are wired or wireless. You’ll need more protection.

As a criminal, let me say that wired cameras are harder to bypass and you’ll need to be more experienced to get around them. I break into places and have a kit to jam WiFi cameras, but wired setups are a whole other challenge.

DolphGabbana said:

Sarah said:
DolphGabbana said:
CharlotteAmelia said:
Sarah said:
SafetyNetNook said:
Guard4Hire said:

You’re more likely to have a gun used against you than to use it to stop a crime.