Looking for an indoor camera system that does not need wifi or an app

I want to set up cameras inside the house like in the living room or garage. But because they’ll be indoors, I don’t want anyone to be able to access the cameras unless they physically connect a monitor. Does anyone have suggestions?

Try PoE cameras with an NVR and just don’t connect the NVR to the internet. Many of them come with app connectivity, so just avoid that part.

Sadie said:
Try PoE cameras with an NVR and just don’t connect the NVR to the internet. Many of them come with app connectivity, so just avoid that part.

That’s what I did. I connected the NVR to my network to easily check the camera feed. When I was done, I unplugged the network cable and it streamed directly to the monitor.

Sadie said:

[deleted]

oliviamartin said:

Sadie said:

[deleted]

Yeah, that’s how most of them work.

Older CCTV camera systems use coax cables, which makes them completely analog.

Are you looking for something like that, or are you okay with an IP or network system as long as it’s not accessible from the internet?

GuardianGateways said:

Are you looking for something like that, or are you okay with an IP or network system as long as it’s not accessible from the internet?

Could you explain that again like I’m 5 years old?

SecureNestNetwork said:

GuardianGateways said:

Haha, love your reply!

SecureNestNetwork said:

GuardianGateways said:

Look into a baby monitor. Motorola makes a decent one that’s cheap, secure, and simple.

SecureNestNetwork said:

GuardianGateways said:

Lol, good one!

SecureNestNetwork said:

GuardianGateways said:

Most cameras today are digital and use networks to transmit images, either through cables (Ethernet) or wireless (WiFi). I understand you don’t want WiFi, so let’s forget about that.

You can set up a wired network at home that isn’t connected to the internet, so your cameras are only viewable on a computer in your house. This setup is called ‘air-gapped’ because it’s physically separated from the outside world.

Another option is setting up two networks in your home, one for general use (internet) and one for your cameras. The camera network would stay isolated with firewall rules. But if you want something simple, an air-gapped setup or an old-school coax system might work best.

GuardianGateways said:

SecureNestNetwork said:
GuardianGateways said:

Most cameras today are digital and use networks to transmit images, either through cables (Ethernet) or wireless (WiFi). I understand you don’t want WiFi, so let’s forget about that.

You can set up a wired network at home that isn’t connected to the internet, so your cameras are only viewable on a computer in your house. This setup is called ‘air-gapped’ because it’s physically separated from the outside world.

Another option is setting up two networks in your home, one for general use (internet) and one for your cameras. The camera network would stay isolated with firewall rules. But if you want something simple, an air-gapped setup or an old-school coax system might work best.

Is there a way to go even further? Like where you can only see the footage if you connect a monitor and mouse to the system directly?

SecureNestNetwork said:

GuardianGateways said:
SecureNestNetwork said:
GuardianGateways said:

Is there a way to go even further? Like where you can only see the footage if you connect a monitor and mouse to the system directly?

Just get an NVR with a built-in PoE switch. The cameras connect to it directly. Most NVRs have USB ports for a mouse or keyboard and a video output for a monitor. Simple and effective.

SecureNestNetwork said:

GuardianGateways said:
SecureNestNetwork said:
GuardianGateways said:

What are you hiding in your basement? :laughing:

SecureNestNetwork said:

GuardianGateways said:
SecureNestNetwork said:
GuardianGateways said:

Check out my comment above for another idea.

Just don’t connect it to the internet.

Lilly said:
Just don’t connect it to the internet.

That seems to be the common answer here. I guess I didn’t think of it as an option.

Get a DVR setup and don’t connect it to the internet.

I’ve got Reolink PoE cameras. They come with SD card slots, so you don’t have to use Ethernet if you don’t want to. They can record straight to the SD card without any other connection. Later, you can connect them to a DVR if you decide to.

They also have AI that detects people, vehicles, and animals. This camera is the one I have: REOLINK 12MP PoE IP Camera. It costs about $100 on Amazon with a coupon.

SecureNestNetwork said:
I want to set up cameras inside the house like in the living room or garage. But because they’ll be indoors, I don’t want anyone to be able to access the cameras unless they physically connect a monitor. Does anyone have suggestions?

Blue Iris software with cheap PoE cameras like Reolink or Amcrest should work fine.