Looking for a home security camera with 24/7 recording and no subscription

Hey everyone, I’m trying to find a security camera that fits the following criteria:

• 24/7 recording

• No subscription needed to view or save footage

• If it uses cloud storage, at least 1 day of footage availability

• If it records on an SD card, it should overwrite the oldest footage automatically so I don’t have to replace the card

I plan to use it for outdoor security, and it can be either a light socket or a wired camera. I don’t need extra features like 2-way audio, tracking, AI detection, or alarms. I’d prefer to buy from Amazon, and my budget is under $100.

I’ve looked around but most cameras only record on motion and often have a cooldown period. This won’t work for me because if someone waits out the cooldown, I won’t have any evidence. If no security camera fits this description, do you think a dashcam could be used as a 24/7 security camera? I’m open to suggestions!

Reolink can do what you want, depending on the resolution and features. They have options from $45 up to a couple of hundred. Wyze could do it too, but their video quality isn’t great.

LocksmithLeo said:
Reolink can do what you want, depending on the resolution and features. They have options from $45 up to a couple of hundred. Wyze could do it too, but their video quality isn’t great.

Is Reolink worth the price, or should I save up for something more expensive? Thanks for the advice!

MaryJane said:

LocksmithLeo said:

Is Reolink worth the price, or should I save up for something more expensive? Thanks for the advice!

I think it’s worth it for the price. They offer a good balance of quality and cost. They’re widely considered to be one of the best options for the money.

LocksmithLeo said:

I’m glad I found this! My parents need something reliable for their home. I’m definitely going to look into getting them a Reolink system.

Unifi Protect would work, but it’s way outside your $100 budget.

TIFF said:
Unifi Protect would work, but it’s way outside your $100 budget.

Agreed, it’s great but pricey.

Any decent PoE camera with an SD card slot should work for what you’re asking. Just connect it to a PoE switch or injector, and you’re set.

If you’re willing to invest a little more, you could set up your own system using universal PoE cameras, a PoE switch, and a basic PC with a large hard drive. Software like iSpy or Blue Iris will give you full control over everything, and there’s no subscription needed.

Lorex with an NVR system is a good choice. No subscription, and the NVR powers the cameras over PoE. You can expand the storage, and all the footage is accessible via their app. It’s been working great for me for 2 years.

Archer said:
Hey everyone, I’m trying to find a security camera that fits the following criteria:

• 24/7 recording

• If it records on an SD card, it should overwrite the oldest footage automatically so I don’t have to replace the card

I plan to use it for outdoor security, and it can be either a light socket or a wired camera. I don’t need extra features like 2-way audio, tracking, AI detection, or alarms. I’d prefer to buy from Amazon, and my budget is under $100.

I’ve looked around but most cameras only record on motion and often have a cooldown period. This won’t work for me because if someone waits out the cooldown, I won’t have any evidence. If no security camera fits this description, do you think a dashcam could be used as a 24/7 security camera? I’m open to suggestions!

I started with Wyze but eventually switched to Unifi Protect. It’s a bigger investment, but I don’t regret it.

Archer said:

• 24/7 recording

Ubiquiti systems are fantastic and serve as both your router and WiFi. I have 10 cameras with 30 days of local storage.

kyle said:

Archer said:

• 24/7 recording

Ubiquiti systems are fantastic and serve as both your router and WiFi. I have 10 cameras with 30 days of local storage.

What about system outages? I’ve heard people lost access recently because of an issue with Ubiquiti.

LuminousLore said:

kyle said:
Archer said:

• 24/7 recording

What about system outages? I’ve heard people lost access recently because of an issue with Ubiquiti.

The system will still record locally during an outage. You just won’t be able to access it remotely until the issue is resolved.

Archer said:

• 24/7 recording

A NAS could give you the storage and control you need, keeping everything local.

Archer said:

• 24/7 recording

Wyze cameras are affordable but the resolution isn’t the best. I’ve used Eufy, Blink, Arlo, and Wyze. Eufy’s quality is good, but it’s a bit over your budget.

Archer said:

• 24/7 recording

We install security camera systems with 24/7 recording and at least a month of footage. It’s all wired for reliability. Feel free to reach out if you’re interested.

Archer said:

• 24/7 recording

Consider Dahua or Hikvision with a local Blue Iris setup.

Archer said:

• 24/7 recording

We’ve been using a Yi camera from Amazon. It records to an SD card and works well for the price.

GaryWright said:

Archer said:

• 24/7 recording

We’ve been using a Yi camera from Amazon. It records to an SD card and works well for the price.

To use a dashcam, you’d need a DC power supply rather than an inverter, which converts DC to AC.