Is there a WiFi security camera with NO subscription, "free trial," or "plan" at all?

I’m looking for a camera that can send notifications to my phone for motion detection, has some storage for past events (not a huge amount, but enough for a few days of 2-5 minute clips), allows saving and deleting videos to manage storage, and has a decent battery life or the option to plug in for power. I’ve been searching for months, but everything that seems to fit ends up requiring a sign-up or trial, even if they initially claim no subscription.

I’m hoping someone here has a recommendation. Thanks in advance!

Reolink NVRs are a great option because they’re not expensive, which is why they get such high ratings. They also have a new 12-channel model that works with both PoE and WiFi cameras, so you can mix and match depending on your needs.

Zoneminder is an open-source video surveillance application that I haven’t used yet. It’s available for installation through Turnkey Linux, which provides an easy setup for Zoneminder on various platforms.

For more information, you can visit:

Blue Iris is an affordable software package that can run on almost any computer and meets most home security needs. You can either purchase it as a one-time buy with no additional costs or opt for a low-cost annual update and maintenance package, which includes auto updates and access to support. While it offers more features—and thus more complexity—than most home security systems require, it is highly robust and reliable.

I use Blue Iris to monitor a very remote second home with low-bandwidth internet service, and it performs well. It can be configured to send notifications about motion detection to a phone or tablet, or it can simply store video clips from those events. You can then review these clips remotely or locally. As far as I know, nothing is stored in the cloud unless you set it up to do so.

Thank you for the recommendation. It sounds like Blue Iris would be a great fit for my needs. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain everything in detail.

Blink is not worth it—don’t waste your money.

Thanks for the honest feedback—I appreciate it!

I also use Geeni switches throughout my house, shop, and yard. My front heated walkway is also controlled by these remote switches. You can find more information at mygeeni. com

I used to be a fan of Wyze cameras, but they’ve become nearly unusable unless you sign up for their subscription plan or at least the “free trial.” The 5-minute cooldown between motion events is a real deal-breaker.

I have a similar question but specifically for PoE cameras. I’m looking for a system that allows me to receive notifications on my phone for remote viewing, as well as door contacts, glass break sensors, and motion sensors, all without requiring a subscription. Ideally, I’d also like to integrate a keypad and a few 100+dB sounders into the system.

Eufy seems to be a popular recommendation and might be what you’re looking for. However, I don’t want to overload the 2.4GHz channel with too many cameras. I’m currently running eight cameras on Eufy, and it causes delays, frequent errors, and the need to restart the app often. While Eufy has well-recommended equipment and specs, I prefer PoE over Wi-Fi. I want to connect everything to a second desktop with a graphics card capable of supporting up to five monitors, allowing me to view cameras from various parts of the house and have app access when I’m away.

Use two separate systems. Don’t rely on alarm companies’ cameras. With 30 years in the business, I recommend buying and installing NVR PoE cameras or a mix of Wi-Fi and PoE cameras. For your alarm system, go with a real, cellular-based setup—not a Wi-Fi system.

I was considering that approach, and it does seem much safer. Have you ever used or installed a Raspberry Pi as the CPU for an alarm system, using open-source software specifically designed for that purpose?

I’m not sure I would trust a Raspberry Pi for an alarm system either. I’ve had Pi systems freeze up randomly, which isn’t ideal for something as critical as a life-safety system.

Konnected offers a multi-zone alarm control board that might be a better option. I believe it’s based on an ESP real-time operating system board, which should offer more reliability for this kind of application.

Nice! Hopefully, this thread will provide you with something helpful and practical. I totally get where you’re coming from—Wi-Fi isn’t a huge issue for me either. The main thing is finding a system that doesn’t require a monthly subscription and avoids relying on “cloud” services, which can be confusing and unnecessary.

I have a Reolink Argus PT . It’s great because I don’t have to pay any subscription fees. The camera is battery-powered, charged with a solar panel, and stores video locally on a microSD card in the camera itself.

Hi! Is it possible to access and save the recordings remotely, either through a phone or a desktop?

Hi! Is it possible to access and save the recordings remotely, either through a phone or a desktop?

Yup they can.

This might be a silly question, but do you receive notifications when an event is recorded?

Yes, mine is WiFi, and fortunately, my router has enough range to reach the camera. They also offer cellular models—my dad uses those in remote areas, and he says they work great. My camera sends a notification when motion is detected, and it’s usually quick enough for me to catch it on the live view.

Edit: If you have any more questions about this camera, feel free to ask, and I’ll share whatever I know.

Do these cameras continue recording for the entire duration of the movement, or do I need to quickly open the app to see what’s happening? Also, do they have two-way audio, so I can talk to whoever is on the other side?

I had a different type of camera before, and it would only record 6 seconds of footage, even if there was still movement.