I think my roommate is sneaking into my room even though I lock it

I just bought a Ring camera to install in my bedroom to confirm whether my roommate is entering without permission. But I have a question.

Since we share the WiFi, will he be able to detect that a new Ring camera is connected? Who can actually see that it’s there?

I really want to get out of this lease, and I think this proof will help me do that.

Why not just get a trail camera with an SD card?

berry said:
Why not just get a trail camera with an SD card?

You can even get one with cellular uplink.

It will show up on the router as a connected Ring device based on its MAC address. Only the person with admin access to the router can see this info. If you have admin rights, just change the router password. This is different from the WiFi password.

Kimberly said:
It will show up on the router as a connected Ring device based on its MAC address. Only the person with admin access to the router can see this info. If you have admin rights, just change the router password. This is different from the WiFi password.

Actually, if you’re all on the same WiFi, a simple IP scan would reveal it.

You could tape a hair over the door frame.

PeeEye said:

Why use a hair? Can’t you just use tape?

Ravine said:

PeeEye said:

It’s a trick I read about in a spy book. The hair will detach when the door is opened, so you can check if it’s moved when you come back.

PeeEye said:

Ravine said:
PeeEye said:

It’s a trick I read about in a spy book. The hair will detach when the door is opened, so you can check if it’s moved when you come back.

That makes sense now. Your first description wasn’t very clear. Anyway, I get it now!

Ravine said:

PeeEye said:
Ravine said:
PeeEye said:

That makes sense now. Your first description wasn’t very clear. Anyway, I get it now!

No worries, glad it’s clearer now.

It depends on who controls the WiFi router. The admin can see connected devices and might block the camera if they notice it.

Your best bet is to use a camera like Wyze with an SD card. That way, even if your roommate blocks the WiFi, it’ll still record locally.

Here’s how Wyze works without WiFi. It’s cheap and you don’t need to pay for cloud storage.

Try a small spy cam that uses an SD card. Here’s one that looks like a USB charger: Amazon.com. I used something similar to watch my desk and got the proof I needed pretty quickly.

Junate said:
I just bought a Ring camera to install in my bedroom to confirm whether my roommate is entering without permission. But I have a question.

Since we share the WiFi, will he be able to detect that a new Ring camera is connected? Who can actually see that it’s there?

I really want to get out of this lease, and I think this proof will help me do that.

Wouldn’t they notice the Ring camera before even checking the WiFi?

Gerald said:

Junate said:

Wouldn’t they notice the Ring camera before even checking the WiFi?

If they’re sneaking into your room, they might notice it inside, but you never know.

Junate said:

Everyone is getting technical here, but honestly, who checks their router for connected devices? Most people don’t even know how to do that, and if they do, they probably won’t care enough to check regularly. If you’re planning to leave anyway, just get the camera.

EvansBrown130 said:

Junate said:

Everyone is getting technical here, but honestly, who checks their router for connected devices? Most people don’t even know how to do that, and if they do, they probably won’t care enough to check regularly. If you’re planning to leave anyway, just get the camera.

Exactly. Adding a Ring camera to the shared WiFi won’t alert anyone unless they’re looking for it.

EvansBrown130 said:

Junate said:

Actually, my router sends me a notification whenever a new device connects. I’d know right away if someone added a Ring camera.

leecole3 said:

EvansBrown130 said:
Junate said:

Actually, my router sends me a notification whenever a new device connects. I’d know right away if someone added a Ring camera.

That’s pretty rare. Most people don’t have that setup.

Junate said:

You should check out Eufy cameras.

Junate said:

Why not swap your door lock? Your roommate might’ve copied the key. If you do install the Ring camera, who cares if they see it on the router? It’s your room.