I think my roommate is sneaking into my room even though I lock it

Junate said:
I just bought a Ring camera to install in my bedroom to confirm whether my roommate is entering without permission. But I have a question.

Since we share the WiFi, will he be able to detect that a new Ring camera is connected? Who can actually see that it’s there?

I really want to get out of this lease, and I think this proof will help me do that.

If your roommate has admin access to the router, they might see the device name as ‘Ring’ or recognize the MAC address. But unless they’re really into tech, they probably won’t notice anything.

Even if they do, you can just rename the camera on the admin page to something like ‘Bob’s New Tablet’. No one’s going to bother checking the MAC address to confirm.

Junate said:
I just bought a Ring camera to install in my bedroom to confirm whether my roommate is entering without permission. But I have a question.

Since we share the WiFi, will he be able to detect that a new Ring camera is connected? Who can actually see that it’s there?

I really want to get out of this lease, and I think this proof will help me do that.

Get a Eufy camera from Amazon. It connects to your phone, uses an SD card, and you don’t need to pay for any subscriptions.

Junate said:

Or you could just rig a bucket of paint above the door… whoever comes in will be covered in paint. Barring that, get a no-name camera off Amazon that emails you motion-detected pics. No one’s likely scanning the network.

Junate said:

I had a similar issue at university. My roommate used a credit card to get past my lock and stole a bunch of my stuff. Even after I moved out, they slept in my bed! It was so weird. My landlord even called to ask if I’d been sneaking back into the house.

Junate said:

No, only people with access to the camera can view it.

ALICIA said:

Junate said:

Actually, routers can show when a new device connects, and some even send notifications. Don’t rely on being able to add the camera unnoticed.

ALICIA said:

Junate said:

So it won’t show up as a potential WiFi or Bluetooth connection?

Junate said:

ALICIA said:
Junate said:

No, Ring cameras don’t broadcast their network name. But if your roommate can see the connected devices on the router, they could figure out it’s a camera from the MAC address. Some routers even display the device’s brand.

If you’re worried, you could set up a separate WiFi hotspot or even connect the camera to a 4G router for extra privacy.

Junate said:

ALICIA said:
Junate said:

If you’re using campus WiFi, most people can’t see connected devices, so you’re probably safe.

Junate said:

ALICIA said:
Junate said:

Why not just use an old phone as a camera? You can view the footage on your current phone without needing to connect anything to the WiFi.

Junate said:

ALICIA said:
Junate said:

It will show up on the network as a device with an IP address, but you can rename it if you’re worried. Who controls the router, you or your roommate?