How do I run wires from the attic into my house?

I’m thinking about installing a wired security camera system. I’m pretty handy, but I’m not sure how to seal the holes properly when running wires from my attic into my office below. I know I can drill holes and run the wires, but how do I make sure it’s sealed tight? I was thinking of using caulk, but that feels a bit too basic. Maybe I’m overthinking this, but I figured I’d ask to avoid assuming. Thanks!

You can use fire caulk to seal the holes at the top plate in the attic if you want it sealed properly.

@AnitaSqwimbex Thanks. Looks like this is the way to go.

I used spray foam insulation that’s fireblock/firestop rated. It worked really well for me.

I used to drill above windows or doors into the attic and fish wires through. We used a tool called a ‘bell hanger’ drill bit. It’s a bit of a skill but it works well.

There are a lot of ways to do it. Just get creative with it.

I had another reason to open up the wall, but if I hadn’t, I would’ve fished wires from the basement to the attic and then used spray foam to seal the holes. It keeps the air sealed and stops any mice from finding a way in.

If you want to do it ‘right,’ drill a hole in the top plate from the attic just big enough for the wires. In the room below, cut a hole and install a low-voltage bracket. Then tack up the wires in the attic with cable stackers and seal around the cables in the top plate with fire caulk. You can finish the wires in the room with keystone jacks and a wall plate for a clean, professional look.

@evanderjames This is mostly right. Just make sure to air-seal both at the top plate and at any penetrations in the wall. Some people drill one hole per wire to keep everything sealed properly. Use foam or air sealing tape around the wires for a proper seal. It’s a bit much for some, but it works. In the room, use an airtight electrical box to avoid air leaks.

@Jean Thanks for the info, but it’s an interior wall, so full air sealing might not be necessary.

@evanderjames Also, use riser-rated or plenum-rated cable.

@evanderjames Thanks for the detailed info. If my house was a bit fancier, I’d go all out with this. For now, I’m keeping it simple and frugal.

@Unclewaffl3s Got it. You can just use a brush plate for the wires, fire block foam for the hole in the attic, and some cable tacks. That’ll give you a clean, safe install without breaking the bank.

@evanderjames I like that brush plate idea, thanks! I’ll definitely use that.

I want to keep it as in-wall as possible, so I’ll be drilling into the top plate of the interior wall and running the wires down to a hole in the drywall to the DVR.

You might be overthinking it. Just use caulk or spray foam and you’ll be fine.

@Charles Yeah, you’re probably right. I’ll go with caulk since I have some already.

Use interior walls, drill into the top plate, and drop the cable down to the hole you cut. Install an old work box, fish the wires out, and you’re good to go. Nice and clean.

Google ‘feed through bushings.’

@WilliamMia Those look nice but are a bit pricey. I might try making my own. Thanks!