Dream Smart Home Build

I’m designing my next house and want to make it as smart as possible.

If money wasn’t an issue, what smart home feature would you definitely include in your home?

Motorized and automatically controlled blinds and drapes.

Royal said:

Great idea! I’ll probably need to run wiring to all the windows for that.

Andre said:

Royal said:

Great idea! I’ll probably need to run wiring to all the windows for that.

Lutron shades use D-cell batteries, and they last forever. They’re amazing.

Royal said:

Definitely Lutron!

Royal said:

I have Lutron motorized shades, and they’re awesome. Super handy to have them close at sunset or block out the sun automatically.

Cat6 everywhere, low voltage wiring in all doors and windows, motion sensors, and glass break sensors. Speaker wires everywhere, too. Wiring everything upfront is key, the rest (switches, outlets) can be updated later.

Good news is you don’t need to be super rich to automate everything these days. Smart sensors are cheap (like $2-4), and with apps, you can set them up to do pretty much anything based on ‘if this, then that’ rules. I went nuts automating everything in my house after getting hooked by my first smart vacuum. Now I have over 100 smart devices running.

Some things I’ve done so far:

• Outdoor lights on timers based on daylight patterns.
  • Motion sensors in the hallways that keep the lights on for 3 minutes when someone walks through.
  • Scheduled the robo-vacuum to clean daily.
  • Set up air quality sensors that automatically kick on air filters when needed. This helped with my allergies big time.
  • DIY security system that’s connected to my phone. No monthly fees or alarm subscriptions, and I can handle any situation faster myself.
  • Zigbee temp sensors that control the heating so we don’t waste energy while we’re not home.

I still plan to add a bunch more, like smart windows, automatic garage door openers, and a heat exchange system that monitors air quality and directs airflow where needed.

@Serena
This is exactly what I’m talking about! Love the air quality sensors and auto garage doors. Also, would love to hear more about your DIY alarm setup.

Andre said:
@Serena
This is exactly what I’m talking about! Love the air quality sensors and auto garage doors. Also, would love to hear more about your DIY alarm setup.

For the alarm system, you can either get a complete Tuya kit (includes a SIM card adapter, Wi-Fi, and Zigbee) or build it out yourself with motion detectors and door/window sensors. The Tuya kit even has a 24-hour backup battery in case the power goes out.

I’ve set mine up so the sensors outside stay active even when I’m home, but indoor motion sensors are disabled to avoid false alarms. You can also add radar sensors around the perimeter for extra security. Cameras are a must too. If the sensors detect movement, the cameras automatically turn on, and I get a live video feed sent to my phone.

@Serena
Thanks for the alarm system info! I’ll have to think more about appliances and indirect smart tech too.

@Serena
I’m really interested in your Smart Air Filter setup. I already have air quality detectors but could use some advice on which air filters work best. Mind sharing?

Josie said:
@Serena
I’m really interested in your Smart Air Filter setup. I already have air quality detectors but could use some advice on which air filters work best. Mind sharing?

Sure! I use the Xiaomi Smartmi Air Purifier P1. It works great for small to medium rooms. If you’ve got bigger spaces, you’ll need something with a bit more power. You want a purifier with a HEPA and carbon filter, which is good for PM2.5 particles. Anything smaller, like PM1.0 or CO2, will cost a lot more.

I also installed Zigbee temp controllers on my radiators, which automatically adjust based on the room’s temp. They took a bit of fiddling to install but work like a charm once set up!

Run Cat6 everywhere, even to the windows. You can use it for data and power. No more charging battery-powered shades every month!

I’d love powered windows, but I’m not even sure if those exist. We had our home wired with Cat5e 15 years ago, and it’s still holding up well. I would’ve run more cables to each room, though, in hindsight.

@Rose
Powered windows must exist somewhere!

My brother-in-law is an electrician, and he set up his house so that every switch and socket is wired to a central PCB. It’s all controlled from one place without needing smart switches or sockets. Not really practical if you’re paying for labor, but pretty cool if you can DIY it.

@EvansBrown15
Now we’re talking! That’s the kind of next-level thinking I’m after. Thanks for the idea.

Andre said:
@EvansBrown15
Now we’re talking! That’s the kind of next-level thinking I’m after. Thanks for the idea.

Look into Crestron systems for dimmers, touch panels, blind controllers, etc.

Check out the Soundavo whole-home audio system. There’s a good overview on YouTube.