Dream Smart Home Build

Jay said:
Check out the Soundavo whole-home audio system. There’s a good overview on YouTube.

Definitely will! Whole-home audio is on my list.

Cat5e will work, but Cat6 would be better for running video signals like HDMI over Ethernet.

Jay said:
Cat5e will work, but Cat6 would be better for running video signals like HDMI over Ethernet.

Yeah, I’m going with Cat6 for sure.

Make sure to include an EV charger outlet and a switch for a backup generator. Also, consider running speaker wire in your entertainment rooms.

And don’t forget a central networking closet with good ventilation!

@jordansmith
Any tips on the networking closet? I’ve got ideas for cabling and ventilation but could use more input.

@jordansmith
I’m all set on the generator, though. Already planned for that.

We did this! Bought land in 2019, started building in 2020, and moved in by 2021.

Biggest tip: whatever you think you need for planning, triple it. There are so many decisions to make, both smart home stuff and regular house stuff. Don’t be afraid to run extra Cat6 everywhere, even if you’re not sure yet what you’ll use it for.

Our network is the heart of the house, with a Ubiquiti UDM-SE, a 24-port POE switch, five access points, and some smaller switches. It all runs off a UPS in the basement, so even during power outages, the network stays up. We also have Home Assistant running on a dedicated PC controlling a mix of Z-Wave, Zigbee, Wi-Fi, and Thread devices.

For us, voice control is key, so we have Echo or Alexa-enabled devices in every room. They’re connected to Home Assistant and can control all smart devices.

Make sure you plan for tablets or phones to act as control interfaces. Have outlets placed in convenient spots for tablets on the wall. Bigger screens are better — I went cheap on them and regret it now.

When it comes to automation, sensors are a must. For example, we use a weather station that tracks sunlight and closes the blinds if it gets too sunny. We’ve also got a sensor system for controlling outdoor lights that adjust based on how dark it gets outside.

Building a smart home is a big project, but it’s worth it!

@Jenna
This is gold! Thanks for the detailed write-up. I’ll definitely have more questions later.

Andre said:
@Jenna
This is gold! Thanks for the detailed write-up. I’ll definitely have more questions later.

Anytime! I love chatting about this stuff. Our house is a 3,468-square-foot ranch, and smart switches and locks have saved us so much hassle. Imagine checking eight doors at bedtime, but with smart locks, I just say, ‘Alexa, good night,’ and the house is secure.

Maybe not the most cutting-edge idea, but I’d love a bathroom fan that turns on based on humidity so I don’t have to think about it. Also, a sensor for when to change the HVAC filter, and a leak detector under the pot filler faucet since I know that thing will eventually leak. And how about HomeKit asking if I want the car started on cold mornings?

A multi-zone audio system that knows when someone enters the room would be awesome too.

@Deepika
These are great ideas! It’s the little things that really make the difference.