Can I make my smart bulb stay off when the power comes back on? Read for details…

I recently got my first smart bulbs and I can control them or set schedules easily. The problem is, I live in Iraq where the electricity situation is bad. It goes out several times a day and it’s really annoying. For example, I turn off my lights at night using Google Assistant, but when the electricity goes off and comes back, the lights turn on automatically! Is there any way to keep them in the last mode they were in before the power cut (on or off)?

It depends on your bulb model. Many smart bulbs and plugs allow you to choose what happens when they get power again. You can usually set them to:

• Turn on
  • Stay off
  • Resume the last state they were in before the power went out

Check the app for your bulb and see if it has this option.

@Sydney
Philips Hue bulbs allow this for sure, but I’ve heard that Ikea bulbs don’t.

leecole3 said:
@Sydney
Philips Hue bulbs allow this for sure, but I’ve heard that Ikea bulbs don’t.

Actually, some of the Ikea bulbs support this power setting after a power cut, but it depends on the model. Check the Zigbee compatibility list here: Zigbee2MQTT. If you search for Ikea and look for ‘power_on_behavior,’ you’ll find a list of compatible products.

@Reese
Well, mine doesn’t! Every time the power returns, all my lights come back on.

leecole3 said:
@Reese

That’s just the default setting. You can usually change it to restore the last state before the power cut.

@Ned
Unfortunately, I can’t change it without a hub. That’s the problem.

leecole3 said:
@Ned

Wait… people are actually using smart bulbs without a hub? That’s wild.

Ned said:

leecole3 said:
@Ned

Wait… people are actually using smart bulbs without a hub? That’s wild.

Yep, that’s me. And to make matters worse, I don’t even have the option to connect them to a hub even if I wanted to.

@leecole3
Then how are you controlling them if there’s no hub involved?

Ned said:
@leecole3

I’ve paired them with a physical switch stuck to the wall. That’s how I control them.

leecole3 said:

Ned said:
@leecole3

I’ve paired them with a physical switch stuck to the wall. That’s how I control them.

I’m curious… why not just get a hub to make things easier?

leecole3 said:
@Reese

Home Assistant could solve your problem. It offers more control over settings like these.

@Reese
I don’t use Home Assistant. How would I even connect the bulbs? The last time I tried, I had to rapidly flip the power to pair them, but these are hardwired ceiling lights.

leecole3 said:
@Reese
I don’t use Home Assistant. How would I even connect the bulbs? The last time I tried, I had to rapidly flip the power to pair them, but these are hardwired ceiling lights.

Most Zigbee bulbs do require a power cycle to reset, but the pattern varies by brand. Even if they’re hardwired, you can usually use a switch on the wall to cycle power. Have you tried resetting it that way?

Also, Ikea has started supporting this feature through their app in 2023: IKEA DIRIGERA: Setting the behavior of lamps after power interruption - Matter & Apple HomeKit Blog

@Reese
Unfortunately, my setup doesn’t have a wall switch. Everything is directly wired into the ceiling.

leecole3 said:
@Reese
Unfortunately, my setup doesn’t have a wall switch. Everything is directly wired into the ceiling.

So, you’re telling me the only way you can turn these lights on and off is through the app or the paired switch? What if something breaks? This sounds like a nightmare! I live in Western Europe, and I don’t think this setup would even be allowed in a house here. Which country are you in?

@Reese
I’m in the US. It’s similar to this setup: https://www.displays2go.com/P-14666/LED-Lightbox. I hardwired it into the ceiling, and if something breaks, I’ll just replace it. It’s meant for a closet where there’s no existing wall wiring, and running a cable through the attic was the simplest option.

leecole3 said:
@Reese

If you can’t reset them, have you tried unscrewing the light partially and screwing it back in to cycle the power? You’ll need to do that a few times to enter pairing mode.

@Santiago
It’s hardwired, and it’s not even a bulb—it’s an LED panel. So I can’t unscrew it!