Can anyone help identify these sensors (and maybe the brand)?

@Stevejones
Yeah, they’re just basic old-school alarm sensors.

Ted said:
@Stevejones
Yeah, they’re just basic old-school alarm sensors.

Not that old-school actually! These are just magnetic contacts, still commonly used in both old and new alarm systems.

These are basic/dumb magnetic reed switches that are wired to a central security system. If you want to integrate them into a smart system, you can look into something like a Konnected kit to make them compatible.

As others have said, these are just basic reed contacts. If they’re part of an alarm system, they might have a 4-wire connection for anti-tampering. It depends on how they’re currently being used. What are you planning to do with them?

@Vernon
I’m trying to find one just like it so I can sneak out after curfew without getting fined by the building owner.

Aurora said:
@Vernon
I’m trying to find one just like it so I can sneak out after curfew without getting fined by the building owner.

You should probably talk to the owner about why they’re locking you in. If the alarm is set, there’s no easy way to bypass it, even if you get a matching sensor.

Aurora said:
@Vernon

During the day when the alarm’s off, unscrew both parts and tape them together as if the door is closed. Then move them out of the door’s path. The door can open and close, and the sensors will stay in the ‘closed’ state.

Aurora said:
@Vernon

Wait, ‘curfew set by the owner’ and ‘fine’? Where do you live? Unless this is jail or a halfway house, that doesn’t sound legal at all.

Wait, the building owner set a curfew? Can they even do that? Where are you living? Anyway… the part on the door is just a magnet. If you can see the circuit (like if there’s a beep or a light), you could try putting another magnet near the fixed part where the arrow is.

@Tyson
It doesn’t beep or anything, but I’ve figured out that the door part has two magnets with opposite polarity. I’m thinking if I can find the same type online, I can tape it to the fixed part so the sensor stays in the same state when I open the door?

@Tyson
I live in the UK, and apparently, it’s legal because it’s in the tenancy agreement.

Aurora said:
@Tyson
I live in the UK, and apparently, it’s legal because it’s in the tenancy agreement.

Just because it’s in the tenancy agreement doesn’t make it reasonable. I don’t know enough about this, but that clause might not be enforceable. Why’s the owner enforcing a curfew? Is it like a school or something?

@Tyson
The owner lives nearby and doesn’t like noise, and yep, it’s legal.

Aurora said:
@Tyson
The owner lives nearby and doesn’t like noise, and yep, it’s legal.

Why sign the agreement if you didn’t plan on following the curfew? I’d suggest negotiating to remove the curfew from your lease and agree to be mindful of the noise.

@Tyson
Wait, in the UK that’s allowed? Do you not have housing rights?

Abigail said:
@Tyson

Housing rights exist, and the OP is mistaken if they think this clause is legal.

Vivian said:

Abigail said:
@Tyson

Housing rights exist, and the OP is mistaken if they think this clause is legal.

I thought so! This would be an easy case for a lawyer.

@Tyson
I should write into my lease that my roommate has to make me coffee every morning and tell me bedtime stories. Hey, if it’s in the contract, it must be enforceable!

Aurora said:
@Tyson

Just because it’s on the lease doesn’t make it legal. Look up ‘unlawful confinement.’ The law overrides whatever’s written in the contract.