Best way to secure my garage door at night?

We live in a pretty safe area, but we’re not too far from a major city known for crime. We usually lock the doors and have a light security system, but a recent event has made me rethink things.

A childhood friend walked out to his work van one morning and found four guys trying to break in. They opened fire on him, but luckily no one was hurt.

This got me thinking about the built-in garage door openers in our cars. If someone got into the car, they could easily open the garage and get into the house.

We’re also expecting a newborn soon, so I want to be extra careful. Is it simple to plug the garage door opener into a Bluetooth module or a switch so we can turn it off at night? It’s already on MyQ, but I’m wondering if I should add more controls.

Don’t forget how easy it is to open garage doors with a coat hanger and the manual pull cord.

Eleanor said:
Don’t forget how easy it is to open garage doors with a coat hanger and the manual pull cord.

That’s why I have my garage door tied into my alarm system. If I’m getting an Amazon garage delivery, I can bypass the sensor. I usually use lockers for expensive stuff. I also have cameras in my garage and can turn them off if needed using a smart plug.

Store your cars inside the garage, or deprogram the built-in openers and use a remote you carry with you or the MyQ app.

Williams said:
Store your cars inside the garage, or deprogram the built-in openers and use a remote you carry with you or the MyQ app.

I don’t get why people leave expensive cars outside but keep junk in their garages. If you can’t use the garage, at least unprogram the openers.

Warmington said:

Williams said:

I don’t get why people leave expensive cars outside but keep junk in their garages. If you can’t use the garage, at least unprogram the openers.

Parking in the garage isn’t an option right now, unfortunately.

Umbrielle said:

Warmington said:
Williams said:

That’s common, but it still amazes me to see $100k cars in driveways with $100 worth of junk in the garage.

Williams said:

Umbrielle said:
Warmington said:
Williams said:

That’s common, but it still amazes me to see $100k cars in driveways with $100 worth of junk in the garage.

Same here. In my neighborhood, cars are outside while catalytic converter thefts are happening. I make room for my cars in the garage.

Williams said:

Umbrielle said:
Warmington said:
Williams said:

Resale value: $100. Personal value: ‘We might need this someday.’

Williams said:

Umbrielle said:
Warmington said:
Williams said:

I watch so much true crime, I’m scared to park in the garage in case someone ambushes me! :joy:

BrianCopland said:

Williams said:
Umbrielle said:
Warmington said:
Williams said:

I watch so much true crime, I’m scared to park in the garage in case someone ambushes me! :joy:

Valid! Always good to stay alert.

Warmington said:

Williams said:

Then use a remote or the MyQ app and don’t leave any openers in the car.

I use a WiFi plug to turn off my garage door from 2-6 am. Works like a charm.

MyQ can be set to close the garage door at a certain time. You can also put the opener on a smart plug and turn it off at night, so even if someone has the remote, it won’t work.

Safezone said:
MyQ can be set to close the garage door at a certain time. You can also put the opener on a smart plug and turn it off at night, so even if someone has the remote, it won’t work.

My opener isn’t a Chamberlain, so I use a MyQ device. I lose MyQ features if I use a smart plug, but maybe that’s okay.

Umbrielle said:

Safezone said:

My opener isn’t a Chamberlain, so I use a MyQ device. I lose MyQ features if I use a smart plug, but maybe that’s okay.

We have built-in MyQ and don’t have to reprogram after losing power. My system has an alarm sensor on the garage door, so adding a smart plug feels like overkill for me.

Many garage doors have a physical lock on the inside. You might already have one installed.

Umbrielle said:
We live in a pretty safe area, but we’re not too far from a major city known for crime. We usually lock the doors and have a light security system, but a recent event has made me rethink things.

A childhood friend walked out to his work van one morning and found four guys trying to break in. They opened fire on him, but luckily no one was hurt.

This got me thinking about the built-in garage door openers in our cars. If someone got into the car, they could easily open the garage and get into the house.

We’re also expecting a newborn soon, so I want to be extra careful. Is it simple to plug the garage door opener into a Bluetooth module or a switch so we can turn it off at night? It’s already on MyQ, but I’m wondering if I should add more controls.

I think the key is securing the door between your garage and house. You could also put the garage door opener on a smart plug that turns off at night, but it might be annoying if it’s off when you need to open it. And don’t forget, a good security setup involves more than just securing the garage.

Umbrielle said:

Check your manual. On some garage door openers, you can hold the button down for 3 seconds to lock the door from remote control.

Umbrielle said:

Why not just have a deadbolt on the door between the garage and your house? You could also put the garage door opener on a WiFi plug and turn it off at night.