Best way to secure my garage door at night?

Alex said:

Umbrielle said:
We live in a pretty safe area, but we’re not too far from a major city known for crime. We usually lock the doors and have a light security system, but a recent event has made me rethink things.

A childhood friend walked out to his work van one morning and found four guys trying to break in. They opened fire on him, but luckily no one was hurt.

This got me thinking about the built-in garage door openers in our cars. If someone got into the car, they could easily open the garage and get into the house.

We’re also expecting a newborn soon, so I want to be extra careful. Is it simple to plug the garage door opener into a Bluetooth module or a switch so we can turn it off at night? It’s already on MyQ, but I’m wondering if I should add more controls.

Why not just have a deadbolt on the door between the garage and your house? You could also put the garage door opener on a WiFi plug and turn it off at night.

I have a deadbolt, but I also don’t want stuff stolen from the garage. I might just unprogram the car openers and stick with using our phones.

Umbrielle said:
We live in a pretty safe area, but we’re not too far from a major city known for crime. We usually lock the doors and have a light security system, but a recent event has made me rethink things.

A childhood friend walked out to his work van one morning and found four guys trying to break in. They opened fire on him, but luckily no one was hurt.

This got me thinking about the built-in garage door openers in our cars. If someone got into the car, they could easily open the garage and get into the house.

We’re also expecting a newborn soon, so I want to be extra careful. Is it simple to plug the garage door opener into a Bluetooth module or a switch so we can turn it off at night? It’s already on MyQ, but I’m wondering if I should add more controls.

Some openers have a ‘lock’ that prevents them from working with remotes. Check your manual.

SafeHouseSociety said:

Umbrielle said:

Some openers have a ‘lock’ that prevents them from working with remotes. Check your manual.

Not sure if mine does, I’ll check.

Umbrielle said:

Garage doors can be opened with a kid’s toy radio. We got robbed this way. Now we deadbolt the garage door whenever we leave. It’s helped.