Best security system options for my new home

I just bought my first home, and it’s a brand-new build. The house is pre-wired, but I’m open to using a wireless system if it makes sense.

I have a few questions:

1. What’s the best wired system to go with?
  2. What are the pros and cons of wired vs. wireless systems?
  3. Is one clearly better than the other?

I’d love to hear your suggestions. Thanks!

I recommend the Ademco Vista 20P. Wired systems are always better in my opinion. I have a few wireless devices where I didn’t want to cut holes, but about 80% of my system is wired. One issue with cheap wireless systems is that they can be jammed. Ademco wireless can also be jammed, but you can set it up to trigger an alarm if that happens. Biggest con to wired is running the wiring—learning how to fish wires is key.

Also, keep the alarm and camera systems separate. I have Blue Iris with a dedicated PC and router for my cameras, all wired IP cameras. If you’re tech-savvy, you can install everything yourself. If not, find a local dealer—avoid the big names.

EmmanuelBrown said:
I recommend the Ademco Vista 20P. Wired systems are always better in my opinion. I have a few wireless devices where I didn’t want to cut holes, but about 80% of my system is wired. One issue with cheap wireless systems is that they can be jammed. Ademco wireless can also be jammed, but you can set it up to trigger an alarm if that happens. Biggest con to wired is running the wiring—learning how to fish wires is key.

Also, keep the alarm and camera systems separate. I have Blue Iris with a dedicated PC and router for my cameras, all wired IP cameras. If you’re tech-savvy, you can install everything yourself. If not, find a local dealer—avoid the big names.

Thanks, that’s super helpful! My only concern with DIY wiring is potentially voiding my home warranty. I’ll try to find a local company to do it for me.

I agree with the 20P system, and I’d say keep it wired if you can. Shop local for installation, and remember, your security and surveillance systems should be separate.

Chris said:
I agree with the 20P system, and I’d say keep it wired if you can. Shop local for installation, and remember, your security and surveillance systems should be separate.

Why should they be separate?

PixelPioneer said:

Chris said:

Why should they be separate?

They handle different things. The all-in-one systems might be okay for budget setups or quick wireless installs, but since your home is prewired, go for something higher quality. You’ll be glad you did in the long run.

For a first home, are you in a high-crime area? I use Simplisafe, which is wireless. Battery life on the sensors is around 2-3 years. Avoid their smoke detector—it triggers false alarms, which can get expensive. The system is affordable, about $18 a month, and you might get a discount on homeowners insurance.

Candy said:
For a first home, are you in a high-crime area? I use Simplisafe, which is wireless. Battery life on the sensors is around 2-3 years. Avoid their smoke detector—it triggers false alarms, which can get expensive. The system is affordable, about $18 a month, and you might get a discount on homeowners insurance.

Do you have their outdoor wireless camera? How long does the charge last?

Givens said:

Candy said:

Mine lasts about a week, give or take a couple of days.

Dylan said:

Givens said:
Candy said:

Can you replace the batteries? How do you charge them if they’re not removable?

BillSmith said:

Dylan said:
Givens said:
Candy said:

The battery is removable and rechargeable. I keep a backup so one is always ready.

Dylan said:

BillSmith said:
Dylan said:
Givens said:
Candy said:

The battery is removable and rechargeable. I keep a backup so one is always ready.

I thought maybe the battery was built into the camera, like a cellphone, and you’d have to remove the whole camera to charge it.

BillSmith said:

Dylan said:
BillSmith said:
Dylan said:
Givens said:
Candy said:

I thought maybe the battery was built into the camera, like a cellphone, and you’d have to remove the whole camera to charge it.

My camera is wireless. When the battery runs out, I take it off the magnet, unscrew it, charge the battery for 3-4 hours, then put it back. It usually lasts about a week, but once it went two weeks.

Dylan said:

BillSmith said:
Dylan said:
BillSmith said:
Dylan said:
Givens said:
Candy said:

My camera is wireless. When the battery runs out, I take it off the magnet, unscrew it, charge the battery for 3-4 hours, then put it back. It usually lasts about a week, but once it went two weeks.

So if it’s mounted high up, you’d need a ladder to get it down every time the battery dies.

BillSmith said:

Dylan said:
BillSmith said:
Dylan said:
BillSmith said:
Dylan said:
Givens said:
Candy said:

So if it’s mounted high up, you’d need a ladder to get it down every time the battery dies.

Yep, I use a ladder for mine.

Dylan said:

BillSmith said:
Dylan said:
BillSmith said:
Dylan said:
BillSmith said:
Dylan said:
Givens said:
Candy said:

Yep, I use a ladder for mine.

I think I’ll try a solar-powered camera with a battery and see how that goes.

I’ve had a Qolsys IQ2 panel for seven years now, and it’s been great. I have a mix of PowerG wireless devices and Honeywell sensors. My home also has automation with the Alarm.com platform, including a thermostat, lights, garage door, and video cameras. The doorbell cam is connected to the system, and all my cameras work wirelessly. Only had to change a few sensor batteries over the years.

Brad said:
I’ve had a Qolsys IQ2 panel for seven years now, and it’s been great. I have a mix of PowerG wireless devices and Honeywell sensors. My home also has automation with the Alarm.com platform, including a thermostat, lights, garage door, and video cameras. The doorbell cam is connected to the system, and all my cameras work wirelessly. Only had to change a few sensor batteries over the years.

Totally agree! DSC PowerG is awesome—better range, longer battery life, and stronger encryption than Ademco.

I use a DSC Powerseries system at my vacation home and a Honeywell Vista at my main house. Both have worked great for me, and both are compatible with Alarm.com cameras.

Charles said:
I use a DSC Powerseries system at my vacation home and a Honeywell Vista at my main house. Both have worked great for me, and both are compatible with Alarm.com cameras.

Looks like DSC is the popular choice. Thanks, everyone!