Best security system options for my new home

VortexVoyager said:
I just bought my first home, and it’s a brand-new build. The house is pre-wired, but I’m open to using a wireless system if it makes sense.

I have a few questions:

1. What’s the best wired system to go with?
  2. What are the pros and cons of wired vs. wireless systems?
  3. Is one clearly better than the other?

I’d love to hear your suggestions. Thanks!

I’d recommend looking for local dealers who are certified in Honeywell systems. Avoid big companies like ADT, Vivint, and Brinks—they’re overpriced. A local dealer can often give you monitoring for $20/month. As for cameras, get a separate system like Reolink, Amcrest, or UniFi Protect. Wireless systems can be jammed, so wired is always better. The main advantage of wireless is you don’t need to run cables, but wired systems look cleaner and are more reliable.

VortexVoyager said:
I just bought my first home, and it’s a brand-new build. The house is pre-wired, but I’m open to using a wireless system if it makes sense.

I have a few questions:

I’m using a Ring Alarm system and I’m happy with it. I’m on their old $10/month plan, which will go up eventually, but I get a discount on homeowners insurance for having it monitored. The battery life on the sensors is great, and I like that it has battery and cellular backup. There was an issue with a motion detector giving false alarms because I set it to be too sensitive, but after resetting it to default, it’s been fine. Overall, it’s been a good experience.

VortexVoyager said:

I have a few questions:

I’m looking for systems that include outdoor/indoor cameras and doorbell cameras too.

VortexVoyager said:

I have a few questions:

The 20P system is outdated if you compare it to the DSC Neo.

VortexVoyager said:

I have a few questions:

Congrats on the new home! I went with the Arlo Ultra 2 system and never looked back. Wireless systems rely on your internet and home Wi-Fi, so the better your network, the better they perform. I started with a slow internet connection, way below what Arlo recommends, but the cameras still worked fine. Here’s a review I did: https://youtu.be/EWp4EsDL-CU