Best outdoor security camera? Looking for suggestions

NomadNerd said:

Keira said:
Hey everyone, I’m searching for a solid outdoor security camera and thought I’d ask here for some advice. I’m considering the Arlo Pro 3 and the Nest Cam Outdoor, but I’d love to hear some firsthand recommendations.

Have any of you used these cameras or have suggestions for other brands? How’s the video quality, setup, app usability, and durability in bad weather? I’ve also heard of cameras with features like person detection and two-way audio, which sound cool. If you’ve tried those, let me know your thoughts!

Looking forward to any advice you have!

Don’t forget to think about the ecosystem of devices you’re using. If you’ve got smart home gear, it might be easier to stick with one brand so everything works well together.

Good point. Any specific brands you’ve found that work great with Nest?

Keira said:

NomadNerd said:
Keira said:
Hey everyone, I’m searching for a solid outdoor security camera and thought I’d ask here for some advice. I’m considering the Arlo Pro 3 and the Nest Cam Outdoor, but I’d love to hear some firsthand recommendations.

Have any of you used these cameras or have suggestions for other brands? How’s the video quality, setup, app usability, and durability in bad weather? I’ve also heard of cameras with features like person detection and two-way audio, which sound cool. If you’ve tried those, let me know your thoughts!

Don’t forget to think about the ecosystem of devices you’re using. If you’ve got smart home gear, it might be easier to stick with one brand so everything works well together.

Good point. Any specific brands you’ve found that work great with Nest?

Yeah, I’ve integrated Nest with Google Assistant, and it’s been seamless. You can even use voice commands to pull up the camera feed.

Keira said:

I recently switched to the Blink Outdoor Cam. The battery life is awesome, and I love that I don’t have to run any wires.

NomadNerd said:

Keira said:

I recently switched to the Blink Outdoor Cam. The battery life is awesome, and I love that I don’t have to run any wires.

How often do you have to recharge or change the batteries?

Keira said:

NomadNerd said:
Keira said:

How often do you have to recharge or change the batteries?

Changing the batteries is easy, but if you’ve mounted it high, you’ll need a ladder to reach it.

Keira said:

I love my Nest Cam. The person detection is super accurate, and the app is easy to use. It notifies me when someone delivers a package or if the kids are playing outside.

Layla said:

Keira said:

I love my Nest Cam. The person detection is super accurate, and the app is easy to use. It notifies me when someone delivers a package or if the kids are playing outside.

How customizable are the notifications? Can you set zones or filter out frequent movements?

Keira said:

Layla said:
Keira said:

How customizable are the notifications? Can you set zones or filter out frequent movements?

Yes, you can adjust the sensitivity and create zones. I’ve only had a couple of false alarms from birds, but tweaking the settings helped.

Layla said:

Keira said:

Do you ever have trouble hearing people talk through the mic? They can hear me fine, but their voice sounds muted when they respond.

Keira said:

Consider whether you want local storage or cloud. Some cameras, like the EufyCam 2, give you both options, so you don’t need a subscription.

Nathan said:

Keira said:

Consider whether you want local storage or cloud. Some cameras, like the EufyCam 2, give you both options, so you don’t need a subscription.

How has your experience been with managing and accessing footage on the EufyCam 2?

Keira said:

Nathan said:
Keira said:

How has your experience been with managing and accessing footage on the EufyCam 2?

It’s been smooth. Downloading clips to my computer is easy, and the quality is consistent.

Keira said:

Nathan said:
Keira said:

I initially liked Eufy, but the motion alerts aren’t reliable, and there’s a long delay in playback. My app on the Pixel 6 stopped working completely, and support hasn’t been helpful. I wouldn’t recommend it.

Keira said:

If you’re into tech, you could try setting up a Raspberry Pi with motionEyeOS. It’s a DIY option but offers a lot of flexibility for a lower cost.

ShieldedDwellings said:

Keira said:

If you’re into tech, you could try setting up a Raspberry Pi with motionEyeOS. It’s a DIY option but offers a lot of flexibility for a lower cost.

How tough was it to set up motionEyeOS on a Raspberry Pi? Is it beginner-friendly?

Keira said:

ShieldedDwellings said:
Keira said:

How tough was it to set up motionEyeOS on a Raspberry Pi? Is it beginner-friendly?

It took some time, but I followed a few guides online and got it working. Once it’s set up, it’s pretty reliable.

Keira said:

I’ve used a few different cameras over the years, but Arlo has been the most reliable for me in terms of video quality and performance.

Keira said:

Keira said:

I’ve used a few different cameras over the years, but Arlo has been the most reliable for me in terms of video quality and performance.

Any must-have accessories for the Arlo cameras? I’m thinking about adding the solar panel charger.

Keira said:

Keira said:
Keira said:

Any must-have accessories for the Arlo cameras? I’m thinking about adding the solar panel charger.

The solar panel charger is a great add-on. It keeps the camera charged, and the setup still looks clean.

Keira said:

I’ve had the Nest Cam Outdoor for a year now, and it’s been pretty solid. The night vision is impressive, but the subscription fees for video storage can add up over time.