Best indoor and outdoor security cameras?

Arlo is not an option. Their wireless cameras are terrible. The wired ones are okay, though. I’m looking for something reliable for both indoor and outdoor use. Any suggestions?

I had a bad experience with Arlo too. They just weren’t reliable for me, especially the wireless ones.

I’ve been using Eufy for a few years now, but I’m starting to get frustrated. The AI filtering misses too many events, and it doesn’t pick up some important moments. It’s become less reliable over time.

Lenox said:
I’ve been using Eufy for a few years now, but I’m starting to get frustrated. The AI filtering misses too many events, and it doesn’t pick up some important moments. It’s become less reliable over time.

Eufy is absolutely garbage. Their ‘AI’ filtering is too aggressive, so it ends up missing a lot of events. It’s like not having a camera at all. I used them for two years and noticed they get worse with every update. Their solution to save battery life is to make the filtering more aggressive, which causes a lot of missed footage.

I’ve also heard people having issues with battery life on Eufy cameras, but I haven’t experienced it personally.

Lenox said:
I’ve also heard people having issues with battery life on Eufy cameras, but I haven’t experienced it personally.

The wired options might be better, but wireless ones are just too inconsistent.

Lenox said:

Lenox said:

Where can I buy the 4th gen? I heard it’s a bit better.

Lenox said:

Lenox said:

I really like this brand too. It’s worked well for me.

I also had problems with Arlo’s app lagging and missing alerts. It’s frustrating when you need it to work.

Lenox said:
I also had problems with Arlo’s app lagging and missing alerts. It’s frustrating when you need it to work.

The Arlo app lags a lot, which is why I don’t like it or recommend it.

Lenox said:

Arlo has worked well for me so far. I haven’t noticed as many issues, but I know others have had bad experiences.

Here are some recommendations with prices ranging from $50 to $250. You can find them on sale at Amazon

1. Blink Indoor/Outdoor Camera: Affordable with 1080p, night vision, and free cloud storage for 30 days. Both indoor and outdoor versions available.

2. Ring Stick Up Cam Battery HD: Works well indoors or outdoors with 1080p, night vision, two-way talk, and can connect with Ring Alarm. It’s battery-powered for flexibility.

3. Google Nest Cam (Battery or Wired): Offers good 1080p or 2K quality, Google Assistant integration, and secure cloud storage. You can get indoor and outdoor models.

4. Wyze Cam v3: Very cheap with 1080p, night vision, and microSD storage. They have both indoor and outdoor options, but they may be more limited compared to more expensive brands.

5. Swann Security System: A more complete system with wired and wireless options. Includes 1080p or 2K resolution, night vision, two-way talk, and local storage.

PeacefulHomestead said:
Arlo is not an option. Their wireless cameras are terrible. The wired ones are okay, though. I’m looking for something reliable for both indoor and outdoor use. Any suggestions?

I also recommend SimpliSafe if you’re looking for something that doesn’t require a monthly contract. Their outdoor cameras are solid, and you can set them up easily. I use them at my house.

Lenox said:

PeacefulHomestead said:

I also recommend SimpliSafe if you’re looking for something that doesn’t require a monthly contract. Their outdoor cameras are solid, and you can set them up easily. I use them at my house.

If you want a no-contract, no-monthly fee option, SimpliSafe outdoor cameras are pretty solid. We’ve used them at home, and they’re a good choice.

PeacefulHomestead said:

I recommend Reolink. Some folks complain that the app is hard to use, but for me, it’s the best one. Just be prepared to patch up walls when moving out if you’re in a rental. POE is a must, and you’re still dealing with wiring for power with most ‘wireless’ systems.

Charlotte said:

PeacefulHomestead said:

I recommend Reolink. Some folks complain that the app is hard to use, but for me, it’s the best one. Just be prepared to patch up walls when moving out if you’re in a rental. POE is a must, and you’re still dealing with wiring for power with most ‘wireless’ systems.

Thanks! Is there a monthly app fee? I saw the system is around $300-$400. Does it come with a screen? I’m new to this and just looking for something good.

PeacefulHomestead said:

Charlotte said:
PeacefulHomestead said:

Thanks! Is there a monthly app fee? I saw the system is around $300-$400. Does it come with a screen? I’m new to this and just looking for something good.

No monthly fee. The system doesn’t come with a screen. When I set it up, I temporarily connect it to a TV using an HDMI cable, then I control everything through the phone app. I’ve installed five systems over the past few years: three Reolink, one Onwote, and one xmartO. Reolink is the best among these.

Since this is your first system, I’d suggest getting a complete setup with cameras, NVR, and a pre-installed hard drive. Running the cables is a careful process, so take your time. I don’t do this professionally, but I’ve had to rethink things halfway through a few times.

PeacefulHomestead said:

I got a Litokam 5MP indoor camera recently to keep an eye on my 96-year-old mother-in-law during the night. It alerts us when there’s movement, and the night vision is really clear. It’s been great.

PeacefulHomestead said:

Check out this system: https://m.reolink.com/product/rlk8-410b4/

Williams said:

PeacefulHomestead said:

Check out this system: https://m.reolink.com/product/rlk8-410b4/

Looks good! I’m a bit concerned about the wiring since I’m renting. Do you think it’ll be a problem?