Anyone know of a smart inline switch? Would be super useful for bedside lamps

Noah said:
@Sadie
Exactly this! Smart stuff should add convenience, not take it away. It needs to work like normal even without the smarts.

Yeah, it should still work even if your Wi-Fi goes out.

@Sadie
You could use a smart switch. The cool thing is, you can place it anywhere and set up different actions like a single press for one lamp, double press for another, or hold to control all lights.

@Sadie
Why not use a smart plug for that? We do it with our lamps, and it works perfectly.

Joseph said:
@Sadie
Why not use a smart plug for that? We do it with our lamps, and it works perfectly.

The issue is that now the lamp depends on both the physical switch and the smart plug being on at the same time. It’s more complicated than a simple setup.

@Sadie
Get a smart bulb then!

Roland said:
Why not just use a smart plug?

This is the safest way to go. Anything else could be a fire risk if it’s not certified.

Roland said:
Why not just use a smart plug?

You missed the point.

Why not just use a smart bulb?

Allen said:
Why not just use a smart bulb?

That’s what I do with our bedside lamps. We use Kasa bulbs, and you can set them to turn on when they get power, so they’ll work with the physical switch too.

meech said:
Sonoff makes an inline switch for cords. Works great.

But you have to cut and splice the cord, right? That’s a bit more complicated than just using a smart plug and keeping the switch on with some tape.

@Hazel
Tape is advanced? :thinking:

Philip said:
@Hazel

No, I meant splicing the Sonoff is more advanced. Not everyone feels comfortable doing that, and a smart plug is just easier.

Hazel said:

Philip said:
@Hazel

No, I meant splicing the Sonoff is more advanced. Not everyone feels comfortable doing that, and a smart plug is just easier.

But that’s not what the person who posted this is looking for.

Hazel said:

Philip said:
@Hazel

Actually, splicing is not that difficult. I teach seventh graders how to do it—it’s really not that advanced!

meech said:

I have two of those inline Sonoff switches, and they work great. Plus, they have a button for manual control.

meech said:

This is the answer you’re looking for! It might mean running another cord, but it’s worth it in my opinion.

I haven’t tried it myself, but Samotech has something like this: https://www.samotech.co.uk/products/zigbee-cord-in-line-rotary-dimmer/

Tessa said:
I haven’t tried it myself, but Samotech has something like this: https://www.samotech.co.uk/products/zigbee-cord-in-line-rotary-dimmer/

I’ve used similar ones, and they work fine.

Tessa said:

I’ve been trying to get one of these for months, but they’re always out of stock. I don’t think they’re coming back anytime soon.

We use smart plugs for lamps with inline switches, just keep the switch on and control it with the plug. If you get a good smart plug, it’ll rarely fail.