Anyone know of a smart inline switch? Would be super useful for bedside lamps

I am trying to find a smart inline switch for my bedside lamp. I want to keep the regular switch in place but add some smart control. Does anyone have recommendations?

It sounds like you’re looking for something that can do both smart control and local control. A smart plug hidden behind the nightstand can be great for automation, but it doesn’t help with turning the lamp off directly. I personally use Govee smart plugs with Govee smart buttons for my bedside lamps. You can also try the Hubspace smart socket for other lamps, both give you smart and local control.

@Abraham
Yes, exactly! Thanks for understanding. I’ll check those out. I probably could’ve explained better, I just assumed people would know what I meant.

LillyGrace said:
@Abraham
Yes, exactly! Thanks for understanding. I’ll check those out. I probably could’ve explained better, I just assumed people would know what I meant.

How about trying Sonoff Basic? It has a button on top for manual control as well.

@Austin
True, but it’s not the safest option—definitely not up to UL standards.

@Austin
That’s what I use, no problems so far.

LillyGrace said:
@Abraham

What you want is a smart outlet or a smart bulb with a wireless button. Many buttons allow for things like double tap and long press, so you can create different automations. I put a button on my headboard—one press turns off the lights, two presses locks my door, and holding it runs my nighttime routine.

@Nina
Would you mind sharing a link to the button you’re using? Been looking for something like that.

SophiaEvans1 said:
@Nina
Would you mind sharing a link to the button you’re using? Been looking for something like that.

Sure, here you go: https://amzn.to/3zUQkSF

SophiaEvans1 said:
@Nina

I’ve been using Ikea buttons like these: TRÅDFRI Shortcut button, white - IKEA . They allow single, double, and long presses, so I can control multiple lamps with just one button.

LillyGrace said:
@Abraham

What kind of lamp are you using? If it’s compatible, an Ikea Trådfri bulb plus remote might be affordable and gives you more control.

LillyGrace said:
@Abraham

I’d recommend an Aqara button with a smart outlet.

LillyGrace said:
@Abraham

There’s definitely room for a product here—maybe a nice, heavy wooden box that you plug into the wall, with a button that presses a smart switch relay inside. It wouldn’t be pretty, but it would get the job done!

@Celeste
Shelly actually has something just like that! Shelly Button (White) | Shelly Store UK | Smart Home Automation. It lets me keep my normal switch and still use smart features without any weird two-step process.

@LillyGrace
I’d be a bit hesitant to splice wires into a setup like that, though.

Kamila said:
@LillyGrace
I’d be a bit hesitant to splice wires into a setup like that, though.

Why is that? What’s the concern?

LillyGrace said:
@Abraham

The issue with inline switches like this is they need to be wired in, which limits their appeal. A better option might be Shelly relays with a wireless remote button.

LillyGrace said:
@Abraham

I don’t think there’s anything like this commercially, but you could DIY one with a Shelly1 and a 3D-printed enclosure.

LillyGrace said:
@Abraham

I use a Zigbee bulb and button on my lamp. I’ve got it set so a short press toggles the light, a double press sets it to full brightness, and a long press turns on a red nightlight. Works perfectly with Home Assistant.

LillyGrace said:
@Abraham

I use an Ikea smart bulb with their remote. Even if my smart system goes down, the remote still works, which is super convenient.