Anyone know of a smart inline switch? Would be super useful for bedside lamps

@DataDrifter
What if my wife wants to keep the inline switch? Would this still work with the existing setup?

@DataDrifter
Exactly the problem! If either the smart plug or the switch is off, the lamp won’t work, and it gets confusing fast. I don’t want to create an AND gate for the lamp—I need a single point of control.

@Abraham
I do something similar with Meross smart bulbs and Aqara buttons. Single press turns on the light, double press sets a red nightlight, and a long press turns it off.

@Abraham
Kasa switches also have physical buttons, and they work with an app or API just like Sonoff.

LyamGenesis said:
@Abraham
Kasa switches also have physical buttons, and they work with an app or API just like Sonoff.

Can you share a link to the Kasa smart button? I’ve looked everywhere but can’t find one.

@Abraham
Something like this: Kasa Smart Wi-Fi Plug Mini | Kasa Smart

LyamGenesis said:
@Abraham
Something like this: Kasa Smart Wi-Fi Plug Mini | Kasa Smart

Thanks, I have a bunch of those plugs already. I thought you meant a Kasa smart button.

LyamGenesis said:
@Abraham

He’s looking for a wireless button, not just a plug you can manually turn on or off.

@Karl
In that case, the inline physical switch would be a better fit, as long as it’s accessible.

@Abraham
We use the Ikea system with buttons mounted on the side of our nightstands to control the lamps.

Shelly makes exactly what you’re looking for. Shelly Button (Black) | Shelly Store UK | Smart Home Automation

SafetyNetNook said:
Shelly makes exactly what you’re looking for. Shelly Button (Black) | Shelly Store UK | Smart Home Automation

You’re a legend! And it’s affordable too. Thanks so much!

LillyGrace said:

SafetyNetNook said:

Let us know if you find another option. I’ve been waiting for those to come back in stock, but it seems they’re discontinued.

@Nolan
Someone recommended this: https://www.samotech.co.uk/products/zigbee-cord-in-line-rotary-dimmer/. Looks like I’ll be getting it since it’s available.

LillyGrace said:

SafetyNetNook said:

Just remember you need the Shelly module too, so that’s not the full price.

SafetyNetNook said:

I think Shelly discontinued that product. It only works with the first-generation Shelly 1 devices, which are also no longer made. I have a few, but I’m also searching for alternatives now.

@Terrance
I managed to squeeze a second-gen Shelly in mine by trimming some parts down. The Shelly mini would fit even better. It’s a shame they don’t make these switches for the newer models.

Why not just use a smart plug?

Roland said:
Why not just use a smart plug?

That’s the simple solution, sure, but I get where the person who posted this is coming from. It’s nice to enhance the functionality of the lamp without taking away from its physical usability. You want smart control, but you also want to be able to turn it on and off the old-fashioned way.

@Sadie
Exactly this! Smart stuff should add convenience, not take it away. It needs to work like normal even without the smarts.