Am I wrong for wanting an outside guard dog?

Gerald said:
I’ve been increasing my home security because of a dangerous person who is obsessed with me. I have friends in the military and police who have checked my security measures. I’ve done everything they suggested except getting a guard dog or personal protection dog.

Here’s my issue: I’m severely allergic to dogs. I can walk them outside, but if I sleep in the same room where there’s dog hair, I could have a severe allergic reaction, even if I take heavy antihistamines. I even tried getting hypoallergenic dogs like poodles, but I was still allergic.

So, I’m wondering if it would be wrong to have a working dog or two outside all the time. Maybe I could adopt dogs from a high-kill shelter. I could give them more space than a kennel, with a fenced yard, heated dog houses, a shaded area, and even a cooling pool. They would also have access to a 10x10 shed with a futon. I’m active and can guarantee two 30-minute jogs a day. Does this sound fair for the dogs?

I feel bad that I can’t give them the full indoor pet experience. But I also want to help reduce shelter overcrowding while improving my home security. It seems like a good deal for both the dogs and me, but I know some people might judge me for it.

It sounds like you’d give the dogs a nice outdoor life, but is it worth the stress for you? You might be better off sticking with tech-based solutions for security.

Gerald said:
I’ve been increasing my home security because of a dangerous person who is obsessed with me. I have friends in the military and police who have checked my security measures. I’ve done everything they suggested except getting a guard dog or personal protection dog.

Here’s my issue: I’m severely allergic to dogs. I can walk them outside, but if I sleep in the same room where there’s dog hair, I could have a severe allergic reaction, even if I take heavy antihistamines. I even tried getting hypoallergenic dogs like poodles, but I was still allergic.

So, I’m wondering if it would be wrong to have a working dog or two outside all the time. Maybe I could adopt dogs from a high-kill shelter. I could give them more space than a kennel, with a fenced yard, heated dog houses, a shaded area, and even a cooling pool. They would also have access to a 10x10 shed with a futon. I’m active and can guarantee two 30-minute jogs a day. Does this sound fair for the dogs?

I feel bad that I can’t give them the full indoor pet experience. But I also want to help reduce shelter overcrowding while improving my home security. It seems like a good deal for both the dogs and me, but I know some people might judge me for it.

You’re not wrong for considering guard dogs. Many breeds are specifically meant for guarding. Just make sure it’s the right choice for you.

Gerald said:

Dogs shouldn’t be kept outside all the time. They need human interaction and affection. You might want to look for a different security option.