Am I wrong for wanting an outside guard dog?

Charlieronny said:
If you want a dog that will actually help with security, it won’t come from a shelter. Even if you weren’t allergic, I wouldn’t suggest getting a shelter dog for that.

Shelter dogs can be trained for other things, but you need to understand the breeds and know how to train them properly.

If you plan to keep the dog outside like a junkyard dog, then that’s not fair. Dogs need to be part of a family. Also, exposing them to the weather, unless you’re going to give them a Paris Hilton-level doghouse, is cruel. Just get motion sensor cameras that alert your phone when they detect movement. There are plenty of apps that can do that.

MR.GREEN said:
If you plan to keep the dog outside like a junkyard dog, then that’s not fair. Dogs need to be part of a family. Also, exposing them to the weather, unless you’re going to give them a Paris Hilton-level doghouse, is cruel. Just get motion sensor cameras that alert your phone when they detect movement. There are plenty of apps that can do that.

I hear you. I was thinking of giving the dogs a very nice setup, but I would need to find dogs that don’t want to be touched because I can’t pet them. I already have a security camera system, but I’ve slept through important alerts before.

Gerald said:
> MR.GREEN said:

I hear you. I was thinking of giving the dogs a very nice setup, but I would need to find dogs that don’t want to be touched because I can’t pet them. I already have a security camera system, but I’ve slept through important alerts before.

If you miss alerts, there are cheap phone amplifiers that can boost the sound. I got one for $20, and it makes my phone sound like a mini speaker. Maybe just turning off other notifications and keeping the security ones loud at night could help.

MR.GREEN said:
> Gerald said:
> MR.GREEN said:

If you miss alerts, there are cheap phone amplifiers that can boost the sound. I got one for $20, and it makes my phone sound like a mini speaker. Maybe just turning off other notifications and keeping the security ones loud at night could help.

Good idea. I can hear my phone if it’s at full volume, but I usually keep it on silent because I get so many notifications. Turning off other notifications after 10pm might help. I could also try setting a custom loud sound for security alerts. My phone doesn’t seem to have that option though, so I might need to upgrade or get a separate phone just for security.

Gerald said:
> MR.GREEN said:
> Gerald said:
> MR.GREEN said:

Good idea. I can hear my phone if it’s at full volume, but I usually keep it on silent because I get so many notifications. Turning off other notifications after 10pm might help. I could also try setting a custom loud sound for security alerts. My phone doesn’t seem to have that option though, so I might need to upgrade or get a separate phone just for security.

That’s probably cheaper and easier than getting a dog in the long run.

Gerald said:
I’ve been increasing my home security because of a dangerous person who is obsessed with me. I have friends in the military and police who have checked my security measures. I’ve done everything they suggested except getting a guard dog or personal protection dog.

Here’s my issue: I’m severely allergic to dogs. I can walk them outside, but if I sleep in the same room where there’s dog hair, I could have a severe allergic reaction, even if I take heavy antihistamines. I even tried getting hypoallergenic dogs like poodles, but I was still allergic.

So, I’m wondering if it would be wrong to have a working dog or two outside all the time. Maybe I could adopt dogs from a high-kill shelter. I could give them more space than a kennel, with a fenced yard, heated dog houses, a shaded area, and even a cooling pool. They would also have access to a 10x10 shed with a futon. I’m active and can guarantee two 30-minute jogs a day. Does this sound fair for the dogs?

I feel bad that I can’t give them the full indoor pet experience. But I also want to help reduce shelter overcrowding while improving my home security. It seems like a good deal for both the dogs and me, but I know some people might judge me for it.

Getting a dog might turn out to be more trouble than it’s worth for you.

Gerald said:
I’ve been increasing my home security because of a dangerous person who is obsessed with me. I have friends in the military and police who have checked my security measures. I’ve done everything they suggested except getting a guard dog or personal protection dog.

Here’s my issue: I’m severely allergic to dogs. I can walk them outside, but if I sleep in the same room where there’s dog hair, I could have a severe allergic reaction, even if I take heavy antihistamines. I even tried getting hypoallergenic dogs like poodles, but I was still allergic.

So, I’m wondering if it would be wrong to have a working dog or two outside all the time. Maybe I could adopt dogs from a high-kill shelter. I could give them more space than a kennel, with a fenced yard, heated dog houses, a shaded area, and even a cooling pool. They would also have access to a 10x10 shed with a futon. I’m active and can guarantee two 30-minute jogs a day. Does this sound fair for the dogs?

I feel bad that I can’t give them the full indoor pet experience. But I also want to help reduce shelter overcrowding while improving my home security. It seems like a good deal for both the dogs and me, but I know some people might judge me for it.

Dogs can escape from high fences or dig under them. If a dog isn’t socialized, it could be a danger to your neighbors too. Also, I’m surprised you’re considering this with your severe allergies.

stephane said:
> Gerald said:

Dogs can escape from high fences or dig under them. If a dog isn’t socialized, it could be a danger to your neighbors too. Also, I’m surprised you’re considering this with your severe allergies.

Honestly, this whole story sounds unbelievable. It’s hard to believe someone with allergies that severe would be walking guard dogs worth tens of thousands of dollars. It just doesn’t add up.

Gerald said:

What’s the weather like where you are?

securetheperimeter said:
> Gerald said:

I’m in the Great Lakes area.

Gerald said:
> securetheperimeter said:
> Gerald said:

That area gets pretty cold. Keeping dogs outside year-round doesn’t seem like a good idea.

Gerald said:
> securetheperimeter said:
> Gerald said:

Yeah, keeping dogs outside in that kind of weather would be cruel.

Gerald said:

From what I’ve read, dogs that attack people are often the ones kept outside or isolated from family life. As long as they have food, water, and shelter, they might not mind being outdoors, especially with another dog. But without affection, they’ll just defend their territory out of instinct.

Gerald said:

Look into giant schnauzers. I’m allergic too, but I have one and don’t react to them. They’re great guard dogs and very hypoallergenic.

Gerald said:

It sounds like you might need help with something more than just getting a guard dog. The advice from your military and police friends might not be enough.

Gerald said:

Your situation sounds like one where sled dogs might be useful, but only if you were living in a colder place year-round.

Gerald said:

Dogs haven’t always been pets. In the past, they were more like tools or workers. Some dogs are still like that today, like livestock guardian dogs. Not all dogs need to be indoor pets, but you have to pick the right breed and provide for them properly.

Gerald said:

I don’t think this is the best idea.

Gerald said:

If you’re that allergic, it’ll be hard to bond or even train a dog. Maybe look into something like a guard animal that won’t trigger allergies.