Am I wrong for wanting an outside guard dog?

I’ve been increasing my home security because of a dangerous person who is obsessed with me. I have friends in the military and police who have checked my security measures. I’ve done everything they suggested except getting a guard dog or personal protection dog.

Here’s my issue: I’m severely allergic to dogs. I can walk them outside, but if I sleep in the same room where there’s dog hair, I could have a severe allergic reaction, even if I take heavy antihistamines. I even tried getting hypoallergenic dogs like poodles, but I was still allergic.

So, I’m wondering if it would be wrong to have a working dog or two outside all the time. Maybe I could adopt dogs from a high-kill shelter. I could give them more space than a kennel, with a fenced yard, heated dog houses, a shaded area, and even a cooling pool. They would also have access to a 10x10 shed with a futon. I’m active and can guarantee two 30-minute jogs a day. Does this sound fair for the dogs?

I feel bad that I can’t give them the full indoor pet experience. But I also want to help reduce shelter overcrowding while improving my home security. It seems like a good deal for both the dogs and me, but I know some people might judge me for it.

If you can’t give the dog a good life, then don’t get one.

Aydin said:
If you can’t give the dog a good life, then don’t get one.

Not only would the dog not have a good life, but it could be dangerous for you. If you have an allergic reaction, it could be life-threatening. Plus, a guard dog needs to be controlled, and if you can’t interact with it, it might end up hurting someone by accident.

Your friends are giving bad advice. Trained protection dogs are expensive and high-maintenance. They’re not just part of your security system; they’re a lot of work.

sabrina said:
> Sarahkey said:
> Zachary said:
Have you considered using geese for security?

Good idea! Geese are scarier than dogs.

And meaner.

Exactly, that’s why they work.

DolphGabbana said:
> Williams said:
Your friends are giving bad advice. Trained protection dogs are expensive and high-maintenance. They’re not just part of your security system; they’re a lot of work.

My Great Dane and Great Pyrenees are both rescues, and they would like a word with you. They aren’t trained for security, and they would never hurt anyone who wasn’t threatening. But if someone burst through the door while my wife or kids are home, they wouldn’t make it far.

That’s different. Those breeds are known for protection because they bond with you. But having dogs kept outside as guard dogs like in the movies isn’t going to work. It wouldn’t be a good life for the dogs.

Washington said:
> DolphGabbana said:
> Williams said:

My Great Dane and Great Pyrenees are both rescues, and they would like a word with you. They aren’t trained for security, and they would never hurt anyone who wasn’t threatening. But if someone burst through the door while my wife or kids are home, they wouldn’t make it far.

That’s different. Those breeds are known for protection because they bond with you. But having dogs kept outside as guard dogs like in the movies isn’t going to work. It wouldn’t be a good life for the dogs.

Good point. Also, Great Danes can’t live outside. Breeds like Mastiffs, Rottweilers, or Great Pyrenees are natural guards and usually aren’t aggressive. I’m not sure if any of them would do well living outdoors full-time, though.

DolphGabbana said:
> Washington said:
> DolphGabbana said:
> Williams said:

Good point. Also, Great Danes can’t live outside. Breeds like Mastiffs, Rottweilers, or Great Pyrenees are natural guards and usually aren’t aggressive. I’m not sure if any of them would do well living outdoors full-time, though.

My Dane wouldn’t even go to the bathroom if it was raining, so definitely not an outdoor dog! Most natural guard dogs bond with the owner, and they protect because of that bond. Keeping one outside all year, especially in a place like the Great Lakes, would be cruel.

DolphGabbana said:
> Williams said:

I see your point. The original post seems to suggest they want a guard dog as an extension of their security system, but a dog isn’t like that. It’s a big responsibility.

Williams said:

Fair point. I used to walk personal protection dogs trained in German commands for a millionaire who later ‘accidentally fell’ out of a private jet. It was the scariest job I’ve ever had. I’m not looking for that level of protection; just a big dog that barks at strangers.

Gerald said:
> Williams said:

Fair point. I used to walk personal protection dogs trained in German commands for a millionaire who later ‘accidentally fell’ out of a private jet. It was the scariest job I’ve ever had. I’m not looking for that level of protection; just a big dog that barks at strangers.

Yeah, I get it. But if you’re thinking about getting a dog, it needs to be a companion first. The protection part should come second. Having one just for security will make both of you unhappy. Even things like traveling or taking a quick trip out will become harder, especially with a trained guard dog. It’ll make your life more complicated.

Zachary said:

Sarahkey said:
> Zachary said:

And meaner.

Zachary said:

Geese could work, but they’re not as effective at night.

Tracy said:
> Zachary said:

Geese could work, but they’re not as effective at night.

Actually, I take that back. Some breeds are effective even at night. Geese are pretty good at scaring people and they hurt when they attack!

Zachary said:

Now that’s more like it!

Gerald said:
> Zachary said:

Now that’s more like it!

Let us know how it goes. I’d love to hear about it.

Gerald said:
> Zachary said:

Now that’s more like it!

Check out these prison guard geese in Brazil: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2YptHI23qg

If you want a dog that will actually help with security, it won’t come from a shelter. Even if you weren’t allergic, I wouldn’t suggest getting a shelter dog for that.