Wyze Support for Samsung SmartThings

Has there been any discussion about Wyze adding support for the SmartThings app? What app does everyone use with their Wyze Cams that provides a full suite of home device integrations?

Hahaha, Soon™! It’s been on the wishlist for three years now. Home Assistant has some unofficial integrations, but they can stop working at any moment. If you’re looking to scale up and add more home automation devices, Wyze isn’t the path forward.

Home Assistant offers several unofficial integrations to bring in Wyze Sense and other devices. The cams can also be added if they’re on RTSP.

Wyze prefers to keep you tied into their ecosystem for all your smart home needs.

I still use several V2s on RTSP in areas where I didn’t want to, or haven’t yet, run cables for wired cams. They mostly work well.

I’m glad you brought this up. Wyze has had a feature request for SmartThings support (a more generic API would be even better) that’s been open for years. I have several of their cameras because they’re so affordable, but I’m getting tired of the frequent connection failures. I used to have some minimal integration via IFTTT, but I gave up on that after they switched to a paid service.

How is Arlo integration with SmartThings working these days? I’m considering going back to Arlo just to regain SmartThings integration with my cameras.

I really wish wyze cams worked with smartthings. I have many automations in mind that would be helpful if they worked together.

I have a limited amount of smart home devices, and most of them are Wyze—lights, plugs, doorbell, cameras, pretty much everything. The only exceptions are the TV and the Echo devices we use to control it all.

One of the main reasons I chose Wyze over other companies is that they offer almost everything, so I don’t need 600 different apps to control my smart home.

They started with just one camera, and four years later, there’s a list as long as my arm of things they still don’t offer. Voice control is right at the top of that list, and compatibility with other brands is a close second.

People buy Wyze for the affordability, not necessarily for the utility.

I bought my very first V1 camera because it worked with Alexa. Over four years later, everything Wyze released was compatible with Alexa—until they introduced the leak and climate sensors. The same is probably true for Google Assistant. To get reliable voice control, you need to stick with one of the big players, but I don’t think Samsung qualifies as one yet, if ever. They joined the game too late, and Apple is too restrictive, so it’s still between Google and Amazon.

There’s a lot of talk about Home Assistant, but it’s not exactly plug-and-play—it takes a lot of initial work to set up. And because it’s almost like a hack (in the old sense of unauthorized access), uncooperative manufacturers could block them out any time they wanted to.

I want I all and I want it now! And it needs to me cheap!

Wyze devices don’t natively support Samsung SmartThings. You can use third-party platforms like IFTTT or SmartThings-compatible hubs to integrate Wyze devices with SmartThings.