Wired or wireless home security systems?

We’re building a new house and I’d like to install a security system with motion sensors, window sensors, and smoke detectors.

I’ve noticed that local alarm system offerings here in Czechia are not great, and the wireless systems seem to offer similar or better options at a fraction of the price.

Is it still better to go with a wired system, or should I consider a wireless one?

If wireless, is WiFi or 433MHz better?

Get a wired system. I’ve been in the security business for 30 years, and while wireless has improved a lot, a hardwired system is more reliable. Security companies push wireless because it’s faster to install, but wired systems are better in the long run. With wired, you’ll only need to replace one main battery. Wireless is great for renters since they can take the system when they move.

Napco and DSC make reliable wired systems, and you can always add wireless components if needed. Stay away from Ring— it’s easy to disable.

I agree with @Washington — wired is the better option. You won’t have to worry about replacing batteries often, and it’s more reliable. For rarely used windows or doors, wireless is fine, but for key points like your main entrance, motion detectors, and smoke detectors, go wired. Since your house is still being built, hardwiring will actually be cheaper in the long run.

As for wireless, most systems don’t use WiFi. They communicate through RF signals, and 433MHz is pretty common.

If you’re doing new construction, go with a wired system. Wireless has come a long way with PowerG systems, but wired still beats it in terms of reliability. Take advantage of your situation and install the wired setup.