Which is the best router for multiple devices?

Hi everyone, I am setting up a new smart home with a bunch of devices:

• 1 printer (used occasionally)
  • 10 smart lights
  • (Maybe) 1 smart light switch
  • 1 Echo dot
  • 1 smart LED strip
  • 1 smart IR remote
  • Plus, 5 phones and 3 laptops

I was thinking about mesh wifi, but our internet seems to work fine already. So, here is my plan:

• Get a regular dual-band router.
  • Set up a separate 2.4 GHz wifi network for guests.
  • Hide the guest network name (SSID) for extra security.

What do you think? Will this work well for all these devices?

Your plan to use a regular dual-band router with a separate 2.4 GHz WiFi network for guests seems solid for your setup with various smart devices and personal gadgets. It’s practical to ensure each device gets the connectivity it needs without overloading your network. Just keep an eye on performance and adjust settings as you add more devices or if usage patterns change.

After thoroughly researching the best routers for multiple devices, I would recommend the NETGEAR Nighthawk RAXE500 as the top choice. This WiFi 6E router offers exceptional performance and connectivity for homes with many connected devices. The RAXE500 features tri-band wireless with a dedicated 6GHz band, providing up to 10.8Gbps of total bandwidth. It can seamlessly handle over 40 devices simultaneously without lag or dropped connections. The router’s advanced features like MU-MIMO, OFDMA, and beamforming ensure stable, high-speed internet across all my connected gadgets, from smart home tech to laptops and phones. With its sleek, modern design and comprehensive mobile app, the NETGEAR Nighthawk RAXE500 checks all the boxes for a reliable, high-performance router that can support my growing smart home and multiple device needs. The only potential downside is its premium price tag, but the unparalleled wireless capabilities make it well worth the investment.

In my opinion, it’s best to invest in Ethernet cabling for your walls and use gigabit Ethernet to connect all stationary devices, especially gaming systems, video systems (webcams, smart TVs, set-top boxes, etc.), PCs, and APs.

A single full-power AP can cover approximately 1,000 square feet (100 square meters) on one floor. If you have a larger area or multiple floors, you shouldn’t rely on just one AP to provide coverage.

I recently purchased a Uniquiti HD Mesh system, and I happen to have a similar number of devices. Everything is running smoothly and I’m experiencing exceptional performance. I recommend checking out Uniquiti, as they offer routers specifically designed for gaming, such as the Alien model.