Which is better: Ring, Blink, or Arlo?

I’m looking to set up some wireless security cameras around my home. I asked a couple of friends who install cameras, and they all said to go with Blink, Ring, or Arlo. They said these are easy to install and set up for homeowners.

Which one is the best option? I’m not too worried about price since they’re all pretty close. I’m new to this, so any advice or recommendations?

1 Like

Reolink is pretty solid.

1 Like

All three brands you mentioned use a closed ecosystem, which is good for them but not great for you. Look into brands that sell ONVIF-compliant cameras like Dahua or rebranded ones like Amcrest in the US, Imou, or Lorex. Reolink also has ONVIF in many models.

1 Like

Check out r/homelab or r/selfhosted.

Consider running PoE throughout your house for hardwired cameras.

1 Like

Amalia said:

What is PoE?

1 Like

Alexi said:

Amalia said:

What is PoE?

It stands for Power over Ethernet. Basically, it’s running low-voltage Cat6 cables through your house to power and connect the cameras.

1 Like

I’d recommend PoE and getting a system like the Dahua one mentioned. It’s still a DIY job, just a bit more effort, but the quality and reliability are worth it. Plus, it’s more secure.

john said:
I’d recommend PoE and getting a system like the Dahua one mentioned. It’s still a DIY job, just a bit more effort, but the quality and reliability are worth it. Plus, it’s more secure.

Do I need anything special for a PoE camera, or does it just plug into my router?

Alexi said:

john said:

Do I need anything special for a PoE camera, or does it just plug into my router?

Typically, it goes: Cameras => NVR (Network Video Recorder) => Router. The NVR allows you to store everything locally on a hard drive so you’re not relying on Wi-Fi. I run three 4K Dahua cameras with PoE, connected to an NVR with a 5TB hard drive. I can record continuously for 8-10 days and access the cameras remotely from my phone. Just make sure to buy pre-made Cat6 cables if you’re not comfortable making your own.

I have Blink cameras and they’ve been great overall. I don’t pay any monthly fees, but I’ve heard that might be changing. They claim the batteries last two years, but it depends on how much action they see. Outside, I got about six months on a set of batteries. Now that they’re inside and only active when we’re out, the battery life is much better.

Alexi said:
I’m looking to set up some wireless security cameras around my home. I asked a couple of friends who install cameras, and they all said to go with Blink, Ring, or Arlo. They said these are easy to install and set up for homeowners.

Which one is the best option? I’m not too worried about price since they’re all pretty close. I’m new to this, so any advice or recommendations?

Don’t go with Ring. Criminals use Wi-Fi blockers to disable them, and mine failed me during a recent security incident. The camera didn’t catch anything at all. Total waste of money.

Alexi said:

Look into Reolink, Eufy, or Tapo. They’re just as good or better than the brands you mentioned and offer local storage with no monthly fees. PoE cameras are the best but require more setup. If PoE isn’t an option, consider wired cameras (wired for power, wireless for connection). These offer 24/7 recording and perform better than battery cameras, which shouldn’t be used for security.

Alexi said:

They’re all junk. Their servers are overloaded, and you won’t see footage of a break-in until an hour later.

Jean said:

Alexi said:

They’re all junk. Their servers are overloaded, and you won’t see footage of a break-in until an hour later.

Any suggestions on better options?