What's better CCTV or wireless?

I’m thinking about upgrading my home security system and can’t decide between CCTV and wireless systems. Which one is better? What are the pros and cons of each in terms of installation, reliability, and effectiveness? I’d love to hear your experiences and any recommendations you might have. Are there any specific brands or models you would suggest?

1 Like

If you’re trying to decide between a wired or wireless security system, there are several factors to consider. While wireless cameras offer ease of installation and flexibility, we recommend wired security camera systems for most cases due to their reliability and enhanced security features. Wired systems provide consistent performance and are less susceptible to signal interference or hacking, making them a robust choice for ensuring your home’s safety and surveillance needs are met effectively.

1 Like

I didn’t read the whole post, just the title.

The answer is ‘go wired whenever you can’. Simple. For top performance (video uses lots of data), use a solid copper cable instead of going wireless.

I wouldn’t want to miss a crucial clip due to a dead battery, haha. It’s a bit tough to set up at first, but once you’ve got cables installed, you’re good for years of non-stop video recording.

Wired is better than wireless. Always.

1 Like

Wired Cameras

Pros:

• Always connected (lol)
  • Records all the time
  • No need for batteries

Cons:

• Often use low-quality parts
  • Worse video quality compared to newer cameras like Ring and Nest, unless you spend a lot of money
  • Requires running wires, which can be easy or hard depending on how hidden you want them
  • The apps for wired cameras are generally bad. If good app support is important to you, wired systems can’t compete unless you spend a lot. Even with 24/7 recording, the apps for wired cameras are way behind Ring and Nest.

Wireless Cameras

Pros:

• No wires needed
  • Better app support, compatible with voice control and smart devices
  • Better video quality for the price

Cons:

• Need batteries (though some use power cords or solar panels to avoid battery charging)
  • Don’t record 24/7

In my opinion, wireless systems are better than the current wired ones on the market. Ring or Nest cameras can detect motion and identify what’s happening (like packages, people, or animals). Wired systems might be able to do this, but it requires a complicated setup that’s annoying to use.

Wireless security cameras are less invasive to your home than wired cameras , so they set up easier and faster. No drilling through walls or ceilings is required. Wireless cameras also are more flexible than wired systems because they aren’t as tied down by wires.