What outdoor motion sensors are good?

I’ve tried a few different motion sensors, and they all seem to falsely detect constant motion during the day when placed outside. They’re fine in the evening, but during the day, they don’t work properly. Anyone know of any decent and affordable motion sensors that work well outdoors during the day?

Zooz has a Zwave outdoor sensor that works great. I can’t remember the exact model, though.

kelly12 said:
Zooz has a Zwave outdoor sensor that works great. I can’t remember the exact model, though.

I love Zooz products, and their customer support is amazing. They’ve helped me a couple of times with actual useful solutions. Their support for Home Assistant is also great. I’m a big fan of Zooz because of this.

kelly12 said:

Thanks! I found a helpful video about it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5LuY9N0yEM

janiceyelth said:

kelly12 said:

Thanks! I found a helpful video about it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5LuY9N0yEM

I’ve been using the Zooz ZSE29 outside for over a year now. It’s placed under an eave, and it’s been working perfectly without any issues.

I would recommend the Philips Hue outdoor motion sensor. It has great range, a day/night sensor, and a temperature sensor. It also integrates easily into Home Assistant using Node-Red, and the battery life is excellent. I have five of them in my setup.

PIR motion sensors tend to give a lot of false positives during the day because of sunlight. They’re fine if you only care about nighttime use. I tried four different models, and they all had the same issue, even in shaded areas. I eventually switched to cameras with AI-based motion detection, and it’s way more accurate without the daytime issues.

The IKEA motion sensors work well outdoors, though I’m not sure about the exact IP rating. They have a rubber seal around the battery compartment, and the instructions suggest using them outside. Plus, they’re pretty affordable!

It might be overkill, but I use Amcrest cameras for motion detection, and they work well with Home Assistant. That’s my main method for outdoor motion detection.

Lily said:
It might be overkill, but I use Amcrest cameras for motion detection, and they work well with Home Assistant. That’s my main method for outdoor motion detection.

I’ve got Hikvision cameras right now, but the motion detection is terrible—too many false alarms due to shadows from trees. I need something that handles IR better.

janiceyelth said:

Lily said:

I’ve got Hikvision cameras right now, but the motion detection is terrible—too many false alarms due to shadows from trees. I need something that handles IR better.

You should check out DOODS for object detection. It can pretty much eliminate false alarms by focusing on detecting people, vehicles, or other specific objects.

SentinelSanctuary said:

janiceyelth said:
Lily said:

You should check out DOODS for object detection. It can pretty much eliminate false alarms by focusing on detecting people, vehicles, or other specific objects.

That looks interesting, but it seems a bit advanced for me. Plus, my DVR’s RTSP streams are 5-10 seconds behind, so even if I got it working, the delay would be an issue.

janiceyelth said:
I’ve tried a few different motion sensors, and they all seem to falsely detect constant motion during the day when placed outside. They’re fine in the evening, but during the day, they don’t work properly. Anyone know of any decent and affordable motion sensors that work well outdoors during the day?

I use the Hue Outdoor Motion Sensor directly integrated as a ZHA device, and I highly recommend it. It works great with Home Assistant. I also use Node Red to automate turning the lights on and off based on the sensor.