What kind of locks should I go for…?

Hey everyone,

I’m planning to change all the locks in our house and ideally want just one key for all the doors. Most of them have deadbolts, but a few have knob locks too.

Any suggestions on what kind of locks I should be looking at? I’m in Australia if that helps.

Thanks in advance!

Check out the Schlage Encode Plus.

I’d recommend reaching out to a local locksmith. They can help with vandal-resistant locks and rekey all the cylinders so you only need one key for everything.

Look for locks that resist common attacks. For lock bumping, get a bump-resistant cylinder. For kick-ins, you’ll need a strong strike plate with long screws. For drilling and picking, you’ll want ANSI Class 1 deadbolts. If you’ve got windows in the door or sidelight, consider a double cylinder lock or replace the glass with impact-resistant options like hurricane glass.

@Peter
Sorry if this is a basic question, but what’s IGU?

Roger said:
@Peter
Sorry if this is a basic question, but what’s IGU?

No worries, it stands for Insulated Glass Unit.

A regular mechanical lock can be picked in under a minute.

I don’t use mechanical locks because they’re so easy to break into.

Conrad said:

Just curious, are you using digital locks instead? Do you think they’re better? If so, why?

Victor said:

Conrad said:

Just curious, are you using digital locks instead? Do you think they’re better? If so, why?

I work in IT and honestly don’t trust digital locks either.

Victor said:

Conrad said:

It’s true that locks can be picked or bumped really easily.

@Conrad
So what would you recommend instead?

Victor said:
@Conrad
So what would you recommend instead?

I prefer digital locks that don’t use keys. They work with systems like Z-wave, and you can monitor and control them remotely. Plus, they automatically lock at night. The only hassle is changing the batteries from time to time.

@Conrad
But aren’t you just adding more points of failure with both mechanical and digital parts? None of them are foolproof.

@Conrad
You’re right, they can be bypassed too. I’ve seen it done (legitimately, of course).