What is the best smart door lock in your opinion?

I have been noticing a lot of smart door locks lately, including one from Eufy that features a camera, though it doesn’t seem to have a physical key lock.

I am looking for a smart lock with a long battery life that can lock and unlock using all the following:

• Keypad
  • iPhone/Apple Watch/smartphone
  • Physical key

Optional but helpful features include:

• Fingerprint recognition
  • Video capabilities

Also, if the battery runs out and I don’t have a physical key, am I out of luck with these smart locks?

Are there any other features I should consider?

3 Likes

The best one is one that doesn’t need the Internet or any “assistant” to work, in my opinion.

I use the Wyze Lock Bolt. It’s been 1.5 years with no problems, and I’m still using the first set of batteries.

1 Like

Ultraloq U-Bolt Pro is honestly the best in its class.

You did not mention which protocols (like ZWave or ZigBee) you’re using or what features you want in a lock.

I prefer ZWave because it’s secure and uses less power. I don’t want to constantly worry about charging or changing batteries, especially if I rely on the lock to get into my home. WiFi drains power quickly, which isn’t ideal for locks. Adding a camera makes it even worse. If you need a camera at your front door, try to get one that’s powered by the doorbell transformer if possible.

Here is a helpful video comparing many smart locks, though it’s a bit over a year old. It still has a lot of useful information.

Watch here

Also, don’t overlook the importance of a quiet smart lock—many are quite loud.

I use a Yale ZWave lock and really like it. It’s reliable, quiet, sleek, and has great battery life. My model doesn’t have a physical key (though it has a spot for a 9v battery for emergencies), but that’s fine since we usually enter through the garage. I mainly use the smart features to lock and unlock remotely and check if it is locked. Most of this is automated (like the door locking and security system arming at bedtime).

Thanks for the detailed insights! I’m currently exploring smart locks and was considering both ZWave and ZigBee. Your preference for ZWave due to its security and battery efficiency makes sense, especially with the added convenience of not having to frequently replace batteries. I hadn’t considered the power drain from WiFi and cameras, so that’s really helpful advice.

I’ll definitely check out the video you mentioned and keep in mind the importance of a quiet lock. Your experience with the Yale ZWave lock sounds like a great endorsement. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and recommendations!