What is the best indoor and outdoor security camera system?

Hey guys, I’m thinking about beefing up my home security. Any ideas on the best security camera systems for both indoors and outdoors? I want something reliable and easy to set up.

What are your thoughts?

3 Likes

Sure! Here are a few options I’ve come across:

• Blink Indoor/Outdoor Camera: It’s pretty budget-friendly, offers 1080p resolution, night vision, and free cloud storage for a month. Plus, you can use it both indoors and outdoors, and it’s super easy to set up. You can find it on sale on Amazon.
  • Ring Stick Up Cam Battery HD : This one’s really versatile, works indoors or outdoors, has 1080p resolution, night vision, and two-way talk. It even integrates with the Ring Alarm system and runs on batteries for easy placement.
  • Google Nest Cam(Battery or Wired): It’s got high-quality resolution, works seamlessly with Google Assistant, and offers secure cloud storage options. You can get it for both indoor and outdoor use.
  • [Wyze Cam v3]: If you’re on a tight budget, this one’s a great pick. It’s got 1080p resolution, night vision, and you can store footage locally on a microSD card. It’s available for both indoor and outdoor use, but keep in mind it might have some limitations compared to pricier options.
  • [Swann SwannOne Security System]: If you want a more comprehensive setup, SwannOne offers wired and wireless options with features like 1080p or 2K resolution, night vision, two-way talk, and local NVR storage.
2 Likes

That sounds like a really thoughtful setup! I got a Litokam 5MP indoor security camera recently too, mainly to keep an eye on my grandma at night. It’s been a game-changer because now we can see if she needs any help as soon as she gets out of bed. The night vision quality is surprisingly good, and I love that it sends motion detection notifications to our phones.

1 Like

Consider Reolink cameras: easy to install, no monthly fees, and reliable for both indoor and outdoor use. Perfect for hassle-free security.

Nest offers a variety of indoor and outdoor cameras with high-quality video, easy setup through their app, and features like night vision and person detection.

Great research.

You’ve found some solid options with a variety of features to consider

I agree with the recommendation for Reolink. The main complaint on Amazon, and from my mother-in-law, is that their app can be difficult to use, but I’ve found it to be the best app so far. If you’re installing in a rental, just be prepared to do some filler and touch-up work when it’s time to renew. POE is essential, and you’ll still be dealing with the same amount of wiring for power as you would with a wireless system.

Thank you! Is there a monthly fee for the app? I noticed the system costs around $300-$400. Does it include a screen? I’ve never purchased something like this before, but it looks promising.

There’s no monthly fee for the app. None of the packages I’ve seen include a screen, but for the initial setup, I just temporarily connect it to a TV in the house using an HDMI cable. After the setup is complete, I store the system in a closet and control it through the phone app.

I’ve done five installations over the past five years across different properties: three with Reolink, one with Onwote, and one with xmartO. While these are mostly affordable Chinese brands from Amazon, unless you’re willing to significantly increase your budget, Reolink is the best option out there. From my experience, the Onwote NVR partially failed, the xmartO system was removed due to poor functionality, and one Reolink camera failed (likely due to heat or moisture—I’m in Florida—but it was an easy replacement).

Since this is your first time purchasing something like this, I’d recommend getting a complete system (cameras, NVR, pre-installed hard drive). Running the cables requires a lot of precision—measure twice, cut once. It’s important to think about where the cables will go, how much space you’ll have to maneuver, and what the next steps are. Even though I don’t do this professionally, I still occasionally run into issues, like getting a cable stuck halfway through a job.

I recently purchased a Litokam 5MP indoor security camera to monitor my 96-year-old mother-in-law at night since she stays downstairs while we’re upstairs. Now, we can see her when she gets out of bed and go down to assist her if needed. The night-time picture quality is excellent, and it also sends notifications to our phones when it detects motion in the room.

this looks better.

REOLINK 8CH 5MP Security Camera System, 4pcs Wired 5MP PoE Cameras for Home Security Outdoors, Smart Person Vehicle Detection, 4K 8CH NVR with 2TB HDD for 24-7 Recording, RLK8-410B4-5MP White

Looks good! Lots of wiring, I wonder is it okay to use when renting homes?

There are plenty of great options available, and it really depends on how much you’re looking to spend. What’s your budget, and how many cameras do you need?