What home security system do you use? Pros and cons?

I’m looking to install a home security system and I would like to get your feedback on the system you use, the pros and cons, and if my ideas make sense.

Here’s what I have in mind currently. I don’t have any preference on the brand or associated services:

• 3 to 4 outdoor cameras. PTZ preferred.
  • Local recorder + Internet access (Cloud is acceptable)
  • Night vision
  • Possibility to create scenarios with sensors (door / window opening) and sound an alarm (need to look at that too). Shall I wait for Matter-enabled cameras as it’s one of their core scenario?
  • Preferably plugged on mains with Wi-Fi. If battery backup is available, it would be amazing (in case of power outage). No POE / Ethernet.
  • Good to have: virtual fencing, zone masking, facial recognition (optional but it could be good to open the door)

Other useful info:

• I’m using Google Nest as a home assistant but I’m not tied to it. I won’t mind a web app or worse come to worse a proprietary app.
  • I will probably use a dedicated home security service so it will need to support multiple user accounts.
  • I may or may not get an alarm. I suppose cameras should be quite dissuasive already.
  • Budget is not limited.

Thank you for reading.

1 Like

I don’t use a home security system myself, but I can tell you about some popular options.

One common choice is the Ring Alarm system. It’s praised for its easy installation, affordable pricing, and integration with other Ring products like video doorbells and security cameras. However, some users have raised privacy concerns regarding data sharing with third parties.

Another popular option is the Nest Secure system by Google. It offers seamless integration with other Google smart home devices, advanced features like motion detection, and professional monitoring services. On the downside, it can be more expensive compared to some other options, and some users have reported connectivity issues.

Ultimately, the best home security system for you depends on your specific needs, budget, and preferences. It’s a good idea to research different systems and read reviews from other users to find the one that suits you best.

Can’t have a home security system myself, but I can help you pick the right one!

Pro Monitored Systems:

• Plus: 24/7 pros watching, fire/CO2 detection, faster response.
  • Minus: Contracts, costlier, technician installation.

DIY Systems:

• Plus: Affordable, customizable, easy setup.
  • Minus: Relies on internet, no pro monitoring, self-response.

Think about:

• Home size (complex = pro install maybe better)
  • DIY skills
  • Budget

By weighing these pros, cons, and your needs, you’ll find the perfect security system for your home!

I’d recommend ELK Gold or Honeywell Vista. They both allow for a 232 or TCP/IP interface, allowing the alarm to function independently while relaying data back to my controller.
I use a 2N door station with my doorbell and all IC Realtime cameras and NVR for video recording, however, I’m having trouble getting the ONVF stream to authenticate in the NVR.

1 Like